Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My 6 week check

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey all,

I went to my 6 week check, which was a terrible ride as I posted in cherrykittys thread regarding driving, only to not like the outcome of my visit.

I got called to come an hour and 15 minutes early cause doc was leaving early that day, so I did, had my xrays, and then sat, and sat, till it was the time of my ORIGINAL appt. Not happy there. Then, I am told that he is gonna start me on PT which is fine, but that he thinks "it will do me good to go back to work on the 21st.

I TOLD him I wasn't ready yet, but he didn't listen. Said, that i am doing good walking, sounds as though I am being rather active, so it will do me good. I said I wanted to have AT LEAST 2 weeks PT before going back. So, he wrote the work slip that I go back in 2 weeks for 4 hours the first week, 6 the 2nd week, and the full time.

Problem is, my PT place is so booked up, I may not get in right away! So, I do go in on Monday to be seen, and then they will try to figure out when I can actually have a steady time of PT. I have already decided that if I can't have a steady 2 weeks of PT, then I am calling the docs office back on Monday, telling them that i cant get in right away, and I WANT A NEW SLIP STATING THAT I START WORK
AFTER THE 2 WEEKS OF PT IS UP. So, it may not be the 21st.

Whew........on the bright side........there is beginning to see the first signs of "milky threads of white" which I was told means that I am beginning to fuse despite all the work Ihave done in the last few weeks. That is the only good thing. I am VERY disappointed in this work thing.

What can I do? Wait and see about the PT appts, and then see if I can handle working again already. If I can't, I will be calling to tell him I can't yet.

Well, I need to get off here, to go set up my rummage for the 2nd and last day. YEE-HA! Too much work I tell ya. Later..............hope all are having a great weekend. Tina

• Well at least you are fusing! That is a very good thing. Sorry about the work BS. I told ya about that doc though. He likes to pass people off and doesnt listen to his patients very well. Sorry if I am knocking him but I didn't like him. And I am definately NOT knocking you m'dear.

Time to rest. take it EASY!!!!!!!!!

• TinaFay

If work is too much for you report to your doc and tell him you need to push it out. Don't hurt yourself for work! If it happens to be okay then continue, if not get back to him and say I need more time! Best to you.

• Hi Tina,

I can't believe your Dr. is forcing you to go back to work if you do not feel you are able to. Please do take your care into you own hands and insist that you are not ready and tell him your symptoms as a back up to your reasoning for needing more time. Definitely you wanting to have at least 2 weeks of PT is great so you can have more strength and endurance to be able to start back to work on a part time basis.

I wish you luck!

• You had your surgery AFTER me and my doctor is pushing back my return date of 8/1. I told him I've been sore lately so still no PT and still no driving and no work either. He's telling my employer I need LTD....but he says I'm already fused! Interesting how doctors can be so different!!!!!
  • Only you can determine when it is time to get back to work. I do think your doc sounds a little strange. My doc never mentioned returning to work after any of my surgeries. I was always the one to bring it up and he would ask are you ready? He also asked each time what type of restrictions I would need for him to write. Makes sense to me sense he doesn't know my daily pain levels or how I funtion all day at work.

If you feel strongly about this you may need to politely dig in your heels and say "this will not work for me."
    Alot of us spinies have had to learn the hard way to say no to protect our bodies and reduce pain. You would think that you would not have to do this with your own doc though. Go figure..........