Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not sure if the doctor diagnosed me correctly.

OrangebananaOOrangebanana Posts: 1
edited 02/18/2015 - 9:41 PM in Lower Back Pain
So it all started in January where after sitting for a while my left leg started to tingle a bit. From then I could still bend and dance as normal (I am 19). Last week my dance classes resumed and I caused horrible pain to come.

It was down my lower back and down my leg when I bent forward or lifted my leg. A few days past and I got a lot better with only pain in my lower back next to my spine when I bent a certain way. Today it suddenly became worse after I lifted my 2yrd old niece. So I went to the doctor.

She examined me and asked me to lay on the bed and move my leg in certain positions. I have scoliosis with a 51 degree curve but she disregarded any part of my spine causing the pain. I have been googling. And thought I may have a herniated disc but maybe I'm just wrong. My brother has had a bulging disc before that was pinching his nerve and had to have surgery and he said his symptoms were very much like mine with pain next to the spine and not in the spine.

She ended up prescribing me anti inflammatory tablets and sending me for a hip X-ray which I had today. If I don't hear anything from her then nothing is wrong with my hip.

My question is:

Could it be a hip issue, what would have caused it. It's pain in my lower back and before lower back of my thigh shooting down my leg.

Or is it more likely a disc issue and should I go back ?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

There is nobody on the forum is qualified to advice you on what is causing this pain, but this link may help you. You could ask for a second opinion

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • It sounds like your doctor performed a straight leg exam, which shows signs of a nerve root impingement. Also, she was testing your hips at the same time. She obviously felt, from your symptoms and exam, that the problem was more hip related. Back pain can come and go, and for the most part isn't anything serious. Honestly, the worst thing you can do is self diagnose over the internet. If the pain doesn't get any better, I would go back if the xray doesn't show anything.
    Spine-Health Moderator 
    Ankylosing Spondylitis
    Bulging discs T12-L3
    Annular Tears with Disc Extrusion L4-S1
    Moderate Central Canal Stenosis
    Moderate Foraminal Stenosis
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Ligaments
    Spinal enthesopathy
    L4-L/5 PLIF with cages, rods, screws 2/15 

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,801
    Yes hip issues can cause back pain, when I had torn labrum of the hip it caused some low back pain and leg pain. After it was fixed surgically those issues were no more. Is it causing it in your case, thats for you and doctor to work out. What kind of doctor are you seeing ? I personally think that is a bad go, to only hear from doctor if something is wrong, I would request to hear either way so that you can have peace of mind and not be sitting there waiting. That way if pain does not go away you can have already formed your next plan of action.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.