Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Developed a tolerance

Has this happened to anyone else? I've been taking oxycodone 10 mg for such a long time(8-9 months) that my body has actually developed such a tolerance that its akin to taking a tylenol etc... I saw my pain mgmt Dr today and asked if this was possible and gave him an example(took an oxy at 7:30 am and my appt was at 10:30 and pain level went from a 5 to a 4) and he said this does happen to people. I'm now taking hydrocodone 10/325 and know from past experience that they help alot, as I had 3 shoulder operations in the past and was prescribed vicodin. Hopefully my upcoming epidural injection will help with the fusion and si joint so i wont gave to constantly depend on pills for relief

• Tolerance to medication is an on-going thing many people deal with. It's not uncommon at all for PM's to switch things up especially before you are due to have surgery.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Yes, tolerance is commonplace, but I'm a bit surprised that is happened over a nine month period. That's a short span in which to develop a tolerance. It's interesting that you went from Oxycodone 10 to Hydrocodone 10 and that helped. I hope it continues to give you relief!
    º lumbar spinal fusion
    º spinal cord stimulator
    º multiple decompressions
    º lumbar laminectomy
    º osteoarthritis
    º I am not a doctor nor am I giving medical advice
  • MattOMMattO Posts: 11
    edited 02/28/2015 - 10:44 AM
    I've been taking pain meds going on 12 years now. I started with Darvocet 100/650, which worked. Once that med was pulled, I was switched to Norco 10/325. It didn't take long for my tolerance for the new med to kick in. We then switched to Percocet 10/325.

My tolerance is back up there. Between life in general and my work on swingshift, I'm usually up and about 18 to 19 hours a day. I think sleep is part of the whole pain management "thing" , but sometimes life interferes and throws your schedule off.

I've been having issues regulating my intake....sometimes 3 doses in a day isn't enough. I'm trying to slowly regulate my intake now and just saying to myself, "No more until (specific time)".

My Dr. is more worried about the acetaminophen intake than anything else, so he will not bump me up to a 4th dose in a day. Oh well, I guess that means I need to be strong and not give in to the urge to take an extra dose. It's tough, but I'm learning. This forum helps to give me that bit of encouragement I need.

If by chance I change jobs and get back on a dayshift routine, it will be easier to regulate the intake and live by the clock in a stricter fashion.

Herniated discs, L4 &L5, L5 & S1
    Spinal stenosis, L4 & L5
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 920
    edited 02/28/2015 - 2:50 PM
    Matt - There are other forms of Oxycodone (Percocet) that doesn't have acetaminophen in it. Your best bet may be to be placed on an extended release like Oxycontin. Perhaps you can speak with your doctor about that.

• MattOMMattO Posts: 11
    edited 03/01/2015 - 9:41 PM
    Keith, I will look into that. My fear is that he would only prescribe 1 dose per day as opposed to two, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to discuss it with him.

Has anybody made the switch from Oxycodone to Oxycontin? I'd love to hear about experiences and if the switch was helpful.

I'm absolutely sick of "clock watching" and would give anything to get back to where I don't even think about taking my next dose in the day. A change in schedule would be a good start.

Herniated discs, L4 &L5, L5 & S1
    Spinal stenosis, L4 & L5
  • Getting the balance of meds is a trick for sure and when a person gets
    tolerant it is even harder. You are dealing possibly with withdrawal and also
    not taking too much or too little of the next med or combinations. The trick
    is to have a good Doctor who will work through it with you. I have had that
    issue with taking a small doze of a stronger med but it not even relieving the
    pain like a less doze of another. Our bodies just react so strange to them
    making it a hard journey to find the right one.
    Sounds like you have experienced a lot of pain I have heard shoulders are
    really difficult to heal.
    Wish you the best
  • The switch from IR Oxy to ER Oxycontin was easy. It was twice daily dosing. The nice thing about it was that I didn't have the peaks and valley feeling you get with the IR med.