Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

12 weeks post op and feeling much better

Hi all. I had l5s1 fusion 12 weeks ago and feel better than ever. Still not 100%, but am back to work at my desk job. The biggest issues are stiffness in low back and fatigue. I take tylenol 3 as needed and Soma in the evening. This is a tough surgery to recover from but I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Feel much better than before surgery and am glad I did it. Hope everyone is healing well.

• Brilliant very pleased for you. It really is a difficult surgerry to recover from. I am just on day 11 of my recovery and progressing very slowly. Having pain in my right foot that i never had before my surgery that makes walking difficult. My back pain is also very bad still at the moment but if think it's mainly post surgical pain from the screws the surgeon put in my spine.

Do u mind me asking - what point in your recovery did you find the really bad debilitating pain diminish. I'm anxious to get back to swimming for instance - what point do you think you would have been able to do this in your recovery? Any input would be really appreciated.

Cheers mate,

TLIF L5-S1 09/02/2015
  • Hi Adam. I think 8 weeks was when I started physical therapy and walking in the pool. I was still very slow, in pain, and tired but was much more mobile. What really got me moving was my physical therapy. They were pretty aggressive and taught me how much I could do. It took away my fears of moving and breaking what they did. 11 days is very soon. Try to relax and let the body heal. I pretty much did everything they told me to do, and it turns out they did know best. Best wishes, christina
  • Cheers for that Christina. I am literally lying down watching movies and playing games, and trying to walk. I have some really debilitating passion in the bottom of my right foot at v the moment v that i've never had before. Incredibly frustrating as the pain actually worse than my back when walking and stopping me doing as much as I want to be doing. The joys of a bad back eh.
    TLIF L5-S1 09/02/2015
  • I learned that many of the aches I was having were muscle related. I think after surgery you're using muscles in different ways. Plus I think the surgery agitates both muscle and nerves. Everything kind of settles down after a while. Everyday is so different when you're first healing.
  • I will be 10 weeks post op L5/S1 fusion this Friday 2/27. I was doing great up till about a week ago, other than the normal stiffness. My leg pain was about gone and my sciatica well hadn't had that since the surgery...About a week ago I all the sudden started having horrible leg pain again was up half of one night with it...Pin and needles in my lower back and of course it hurting to bend. I saw my surgeon on 2/10 and everything looked good x-ray wise and I felt pretty good. Now I feel like I am almost back to the pain I had before surgery. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! I am suppose to go back to work in a couple weeks. Oh and I am having burning/stinging where my bone graft was taken. Any advice anyone?