Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nortriptyline for nerve pain?

I was just prescribed nortriptyline for my nerve pain. I have severe sciatica pain starting from my right Gluth and my right calf I think it's from a bulging disc. Has anybody else taking this medicine before?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,818
    edited 02/20/2015 - 5:24 AM
    is used as an anti depressant. It can also be used to help a patient rest in order to get a good night sleep

I have not heard it in terms of a medication for nerve pain, but thats only from my point of reference. Most of the time, the classic nerve medications are Lyrica and Neurontin
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,794
    nortriptyline was used as nerve medication for my case, I had some bad side effects on it so had to move on to lyrica and cymbalta.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • I am using it for headache issues. I have been taking gabapentin for my nerve pain and alone, it wasn't doing too great. With the nortriptyline, it is working better for the nerve pain but only takes an edge off the headaches and I still have nerve pain, just a little less. I am also using cyclobenzaprine for the muscle pain/spasms that goes with the nerve pain. I haven't heard too much about using it for nerve pain though...
    Tracie C
  • What side effects were you getting from it? I actually have trouble falling(and staying) asleep. I had to move the doses earlier in the day. It causes ringing in my ears to get louder and sometimes I hear the chirp of a secqueda(sp? type of bug in the summer) I also have auditory halucinations. Is it even real? Doesn't matter, still getting it. lol. I didn't like how it affected me at first because of the side effects but now that I have been on it for a couple of months, I am starting to better. OR maybe I am better at ignoring it.
    Tracie C
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,794
    Just made me very tired to point I could not get out of bed
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • I was having issues with memory loss and other related cognitive issues. What I figured out after a bunch of test for my brain and blood was that it had nothing to do with brain issues. I believe my issue was sleep depredation. I think it had an affect on me similar to what my sleep apnea did before I started using a CPAP. The pain would wake me up at night, not completely every time, but enough to not stay in rem 4. The result, for my normal sleep period, I received less beneficial sleep. I started sleeping more wall time each day and found out that my memory started coming back.

My neurologist prescribed nortriptyline for me. I now sleep find through the night in with the same amount of wall time that I used to sleep for. Also, as I start taking the drug over a period of time, I am finding that tingly static electricity feeling in my left leg was starting to disappear, at least went I went to sleep.

The neurologist explained to me how it works with nerves and how the drug works on depression, also helps for nerve pain. His description of how it works is a technical language that I did not understand very well, IT problems, yes, but not the medical side of nerves.

Pain killers like tramadol don't have the same impact on nerves. They work more like an opiate. Some of the other drugs mentioned, are not really pain killers but anti-inflammatory. I cannot take the gabapentin since it messes with my stomach.