Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI 6 weeks post op L5-S1

gizzyqueggizzyque Posts: 1
edited 02/20/2015 - 5:46 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had a lumbar microdiscectomy for a herniated disc at the L5-S1 disc on December 18th 2015 and I am 8 weeks post op. I am a body builder and my life revolves around the gym so having this happen was a major bummer. Up until 2 weeks post op I felt great, no pain and NO radicular pain down the left leg. I was taking it super easy. Until about 3 weeks post op I got out of a chair rather quickly and started to slightly feel some pain after that and for the next few weeks that pain grew more and more. I revisited my surgeon and got another MRI at 6 weeks post op and I got the images and took them home and looked at them before he could tell me what was wrong if anything. I can tell you that when I saw those images I nearly cried because the disc was bulging to the point it looked like it was re herniated. But my surgeon said everything looks great and no re herniation just some slight bulging. He tells me I am just feeling pain from the nerve memory but I can't help but object to his opinion because I felt fine up until I got out of my chair to quickly at 3 weeks out. Basically I am trying to reach out and see if anybody has any opinions on if I should go get a second opinion or not because I am sick of having pain even if it's not as bad as before surgery. My career depends on being able to have full function of my body. I have picture of my recent MRI that I can email to anybody interested at taking a look at them to tell me whether I need to go get a second opinion because like I said my surgeon tells me it is normal but it looks anything but normal. Thank you guys so much and I will post an update after I see my physical therapist next week.

My email is: cody@c2fitness.co

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

** There is nobody on the forum medically qualified or permitted to advise on an MRI

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • id say to et a second opinion. did u tell him your disc looks bulged? what did the mri reports say?
  • Hey, I'm 9 weeks out and had MRI. Amongst other things MRI showed disc bulge of op site, physio saying this is ok as the disc will never look 'normal' as the disc itself is weak and cannot repair itself to look uniform like a normal disc.

I think a second opinion is always warranted,especially if your not getting the information you need and even more so if looking at more surgery. It may just provide more treatment options or at least put your mind at ease, every one has their own method.

I will be seeking another opinion for my own issues.