Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My fusion story to help others

I was diagnosed with DDD, Scoliosis, 2 collapsed discs, spondylothesis and my sciatic nerve was trapped by my collapsing spine back in late 2013. Now I had a fall at walk back in early 2007 onto my right hip that triggered all kinds of lower back pain on and off for 7 years prior to late Nov 2013, when the pain become permanent.

Pain in my lumbar area, both legs. It never ever stopped I took massive amounts of nerve pain

People in the UK moan about the NHS but they do not know how lucky they are. I have had the added bonus of having a job that gives me private healthcare. Due to the seriousness of my pain and the waiting lists to see a consultant in the NHS I was able to go private.

Anyway I don't want to bore you all to sleep lol but I had a fusion back in March 2014 at S1/L5 to release my sciatic nerve, we decided to leave the collapsed disc at L5/L4 till later. I also had a laminectomy and discectomy at the same time.

My left hand side is amazing it's the best thing I ever did finally getting off 30 painkillers a day.

My right leg started to hurt again 6 weeks after my fusion.

Anyway I'm discharged from Physio as nothing more they can do.

I've had 2 RH Sacroiliac injections first one took 3 weeks to work and gave me leg nerve pain relief for 8 weeks, all excited I booked s 40th birthday trip to Mexico, 2 week before the trip the jnjection wore off and the pain was worse than ever.

The 2nd jnjection I had last Tuesday was worse and j ended up in iv tramadol. I'm now off work sick on tramadol and morphine.

2 reasons we think I'm suffering from bad nerve damage - side effect and risk of the injection. Or the pain surgeon has hit the jackpot and my leg is now very angry but the injection will work.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that the fusion surgery was the best thing I ever did, it gave me some quality if life back and I managed to wean off co codamol, acupan, Gabapentin and Tramadol (worst withdrawal ever!!).

Everyone recovers differently, we all react to surgery, pain in many ways. I'm still not perfect as the SI pain is horrific but at least I've got my left leg fixed.

I'm willing to talk further on here or privately to anyone else thinking if similar surgeries or going through similar life changing experiences.

The aftermath of a fusion is a lot harder than the operation itself, both physically and more importantly mentally. Do not underestimate this.

I went from someone who used to have a toned body that you see on sports models and go insanity workouts before work, super confident to someone who now cannot even do their housework and struggles with depression.

Get in Touch I would love to share war stories and support others. I have a very honest blog set up that you might find useful with lots of pictures and information.

Email me for the link if you are interested and stay strong people

X
Feel free to get in touch. Support and laughter are better than meds

advertisement

Comments

• edited 05/20/2015 - 1:40 AM
    Hi there. thanks for sharing your story. Would love to get the link to your blog!
  • So true about your statement " The aftermath of a fusion is a lot harder than the operation itself, both physically and more importantly mentally. Do not underestimate this."

We are all ready for surgery and not ready for the long recovery and the roller coaster ride afterwards. hope everything works out great for you

Kenny