Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello from snowy CNY

Melly72MMelly72 Posts: 20
edited 02/20/2015 - 6:32 PM in New Member Introductions
Hi, my name is Melinda. I am scheduled for a C6-C7 ACDF. This will be my first spinal surgery, in fact my first major surgery of any sort.

I've been a nurse for 23 years, longer than the "safe patient handling and movement" teams have been around. Through the tears, intermittent issues, never severe. Past few years well managed by a chiropractor who utilizes the Activator method. But, again, previously never any love-altering issues.
I am right handed, do a lot of computer work at work, and at home. Had a few months of right shoulderblade vague knotty feelings, chalked it up to computers.

About 3 weeks ago, it changed, and became a localized rippy pain over the medial edge of my scapula (shoulderblade). As it didn't go away, and in fact worsened, I began to fear that I had actually torn something, as I did tear one of the parts of my rotator cuff about 2 yrs ago.

Nurses make bad patients, typically. I made an appointment with my PCP, and saw the PA last Thursday. She referred me back to the ortho I saw for my shoulder, which was exactly what I had wanted her to do, and they actually had an appt open the following day. Saw him, determined it to be neck, not shoulder. He ordered an MRI, which I had Sunday. I saw him in followup Tuesday (yes, of this week.) and earned myself a stat referral to the ortho neck guy, who I saw the following day.

Surgery currently scheduled for 3/7, unless there is a cancellation or change in my status. I had my pre-admission testing today.

Diagnosis[/u]:
spinal stenosis and degenerative changes from C4-T4.
protruding discs at C4-C6, indenting/compressing spinal cord
marked cervical kyphosis

[u]Current meds
:
  • gabapentin 300 mg 3x/d
  • Flexeril as needed
  • Norco as needed
  • ibuprofen as needed, but not taking much as it was starting tobother my stomach
  • Tylenol as needed, and I am watching my daily Tylenol intake, which so far is not where near danger zone.
Did PT twice, until the initial visit with the surgeon. Only thing they're allowed to do is traction, which I can have my chiro do, and he's closer to home

I don't have questions yet, but wanted to jump in and introduce myself rather than just lurking around.
:)
Melinda
3/7/2015 C4-7 ACDF
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,904
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I just wanted to offer moral support. I'm sure you've been told by your surgeon that a fusion C6-C7 doesn't result in any significant loss of range of motion (ROM). I wanted to offer my personal experience that not only did I not lose any ROM (ACDF C5-C7) but I gained a lot because I didn't even have enough to check my blind spots while driving before the surgery. I wish you the best in your surgery and recovery! P.S. - Patient advocates don't make the best patients, either. *grin*
  • Eeeks, CORRECTION:
    Melly72 said:
    Hi, my name is Melinda. I am scheduled for a
    C4-C7 ACDF. This will be my first spinal surgery, in fact my first major surgery of any sort.
    3/7/2015 C4-7 ACDF