Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hot flashes following lumbar surgery

Nb55NNb55 Posts: 2
edited 02/21/2015 - 4:37 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I apologize if this is a repeat. This is my first time on and I'm having trouble getting used to this. I am about 10 weeks post lumbar surgery. I had a three level fusion, was in the hospital for six days in the rehab hospital for seven days have had 12 treatments of in-home physical therapy. Currently I am waiting to go to my surgeon for my three months post surgery visit. Ever since I had surgery I have felt hot. I am usually not that way. I am usually cold more than hot however I have not slept with a blanket on me hardly at all since having surgery and it's in the middle of winter with below freezing weather. I will get hot and feel like my back is burning up and then I'll get cold. Mostly I stay warmer than cold. I've been searching and searching to try to find out if surgery has caused this. I am postmenopausal and have had my share of hot flashes in the past but they have not really bother me as much as these these are. I am also unable to sleep. I've been searching and finally found a forum that addresses this and wondered if what is happening is because of the surgery or what. Hopefully some of you can give me some advice.

• I had a lumbar fusion 2 years ago, also in menopause, and noticed that my meds caused worsening hot flashes. Plus my backside was so married to my heating pad that I scorched the blood vessels! Yes, it was bad, but the pain was way worse than the heat.
  • I am not near menopause and one of my current symptoms is unusual sweating/hot flashes, did find online a couple sights that said sweating can be a side effect of neuropathy. All my issues are L4 and down, so I wonder if the lower back/spine is related to that?
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I endured a year of this after surgery. Lost alot of weight unusually fast without trying. Finally I demanded either put me in the hospital or start doing test, Im not leaving this office until we have a plan. If hot flashes are your only symptom I dont think I would be concerned but if other issues are there such as weight loss. feeling unwell all the time then I would start seeking treatment. Mine was a infection of the spine. Good luck
  • therebakttherebak Posts: 39
    edited 03/29/2015 - 4:32 PM
    I am just 2 weeks post op and I am so thankful to see I am not crazy about this sweating stuff. I am 59 and past menopause so I knew it was not that. My 1 night post op,I had to literally have cold wet towels placed head to toe with a fan placed on me. My skin felt like u could fry an egg on it but had no temperature . I continue to have this weird sweating for no reason and,have to have a fan on me every night now . it is awful , awful ! I am sorry there are other people experiencing these but so glad to know I am not alone. So this can be from the nerves being irritated ?