Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can't get meds

GrayfanGGrayfan Posts: 2
edited 02/21/2015 - 6:04 PM in Chronic Pain
Hi,
I have severe arthritis in my knees and spine. The last vertebra have narrowing and bulging. My left knee needs a total replacement. I'm 68 and have been going to a pain management practice ever since I had a severe bleeding ulcer. I was told I cannot take NSAIDS. I had 3 blood transfusions. Orthopedic docs sent me to pain management. I'm not a surgery candidate because arthritis is all over spine and neck.

I've been taking oxycodone 10mg for pain. The RX has not changed. This week I went to the same pharmacy as usual. They told me I could not get it filled there. I called 15 area pharmacies before I gave up. What is going on?

I have since read the DEA is limiting Class II drugs and closely watching pharmacies. What am I going to do? Go cold turkey and then suffer? Buy on the street? Commit suicide?

I've done nerve blocks, acupuncture, physical therapy. This pain is real and I'm not a junkie.

Any suggestions?
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,888
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Your main pharmacy should be able to order it for you...espically because you have been a customer of theirs and they know your condition. Did they just say they were out of stock??
    Spine-Health Moderator 
    DDD
    Ankylosing Spondylitis
    Bulging discs T12-L3
    Annular Tears with Disc Extrusion L4-S1
    Moderate Central Canal Stenosis
    Moderate Foraminal Stenosis
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Ligaments
    Spinal enthesopathy
    L4-L/5 PLIF with cages, rods, screws 2/15 

• They should give you a reason. Try asking your pm doc to call them and ask? If you've been filling there for years without a problem there should be a reason why they are refusing now
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 582
    My pain doctor recently put me on new extended release meds. I called 8 pharmacies & no one was able to fill the script. I called my pain doc & he found me a pharmacy & they actually delivered it to my house the next day. I would call your doctor.
  • I know someone who has to take perc and oxy for their pain. Filling the perc hasn't been an issue however filling the oxy has (they are both the lowest dose). I'm not sure exactly why though.

I do know if you've been going to a pharmacy for a while and have a relationship with them they usually can fill most prescriptions with no problem but even that the oxy has been a challenge to fill for 2 individuals I know.
  • My pharmacy has a sign that says it could take up to 48 hours to fill oxycodone because they are only allotted so many each order. I told my doctor about it and he has put on my prescription can be filled every 28 days. That way I don't run out if my pharmacy does not have them when I go to fill it. I did have to search for a pharmacy though that would take me as a new patient because of how many pills they can get at a time.
  • hello I am new to this site I needed someone to talk to I have been diagnosed with cervical spinal stenosis osteoarthritis in my back follow the genitive disease in my lumbar area I am in a tremendous amount of pain recently I had to quit my job why was the QC I workhad to leave my apartment in I had to leave my apartment in Jersey and move with my son and his wife in North Carolina because I can no longer take care of myself needless to say and apply for welfare and Medicaid it takes two months for them to process my case in the meantime I've been to the emergency room 3 times now in Jersey my doctor every month give me a script for the oxycodone 10 milligram I've been out of those for about 2 months now waiting on my Medicaid to come through but the emergency room in North Carolina only give you five milligram hydrocodone one time for people with chronic pain it wouldn't even look at my xrays MRI print out all my cats can print out they treated me like I was a junkie today my pain was so bad I started having crazy thoughts like 1000 reasons to live and just one reason not to that one reason is that I will be pain free my family is very supportive of his wife they do all that came from in the hot bath to off-white is alcohol the arthritis cream my pain goes from Ten to six there's not one day in the last 6 months then I've been pain free I can't get any help down here it's like I need to suffer in silence and just wait for the state to do their job it's taking them too long in the meantime what am I supposed to do I don't do drugs so I can't self medicate I know how addictive that can be so that's not an option for me I found a orthopedic doctor I told him I did not have insurance they told me I needed to pay $300 for the first visit and when I got there they was so impersonable they treated me very badly to say the least the doctor told me to wait until my Medicaid comes to and then he'll look at me help me he said he wanted to wait for the medication so you can charge them he can do everything in charge of them I feel like these doctors are not in it for the help people anymore. there anything to make a quick buck I need to use the Walker to walk I can't take a bath by myself I can't even make me anything to eat myPay used to be where if I get up for 5 minutes and now its to the point I can't make any kind of way because the pain is just too much up all night if I wake up with in the hour the pain is unbearable I just don't know what else to do my family says God will only give you as much as you can bear but they don't understand its pain and the fact that I can't bear it any longer thanks for listening
  • I was reading this thread, it's all frustrating. I wish I had a magic wand so I can take away the pain people are having. before I had surgery I was on crutches and used a cane to walk ((9 months)). I wish I would have had more meds pre surgery rather than the use of the cane but it is what it is. Now that surgery is done and two years have gone by my new cane and crutches appear to be in the form of pain meds. I could not walk with out help before and now I cant walk without help after, just traded what I take and use is all. I do see the logic in what doctors do however, until medication becomes mandatory it's best to try other means...... So I'm looking through all these posts and halfway through Monique's post here I said to myself where is God in all this, why isn't anyone mentioning God then I kept reading and it says God here in the last sentence. Old--Young it doesn't matter this is a mind-body-and spirit issue and all three should be worked on. When things get tough your right Monique God will not give me more than I can handle. I have a lot of Dr's in my life today that are helping-why because I need them and without them I would not be here. So thank you everyone, I hope this person gets the help he needs all of us for that matter. I'm praying right now.... help us all and get me to the gym in the morning :) !!!
advertisement