Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disk bulge due to weight lifting

Nitin KarneNNitin Karne Posts: 1
edited 02/23/2015 - 1:24 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello Everyone,

I need your help last week in gym i did military press and squats,form was very poor. i didnt have any pain that day nor at night, Next day morning when i woke up after 30 mins i had shooting pain in lower back, i fell on floor unable to move. The very same day evening DR said its slip disc and advised for MRI. The reports are as follows.

1-Minimal changes of lumbar spondylosis
2-generalized posterior profusion of L3-4 disc.
3-Posterior and right paracentral annular bulde of L5-S1 disc.

I had following questions

1) How long do i need to take bed rest , its almost 9 days am most of times on bed.
2) yesterday i did sit for some time and had a small walk in room but i experienced some pain in lower back right side (some part of hip to)
3) When can i start going to office ,my job requires me to sit on chair for 8 hours.
4) Am experiencing stiff back is it normal?
5)am not advised any medicines for recovery is it ok
6)Since when can i start lifting again , i mean i can start going to gym
7)Are there any chances if this condition can comeback again?
8)any excercise to make my lower back strong ,or any PT

Am new to this lower back pain and this forum,kindly give your valuable suggestion and guidance.Thank you all

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

*There is nobody on the forum qualified or permitted to give medical advice, all responses are based on members personal experiences only

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi Nitin,
    First thing I am not a doctor so my any advice is only my personal experience. I am an engineer, working in Bangalore India. On April 27, 2014 I did a lot of situps and crunches in gym after a long gap of 2 months( 2 months I was out of gym due to my wrist injury). The very next day I sat whole day 9-10 hours due to my hectic job assignments. At evening a sharp lower back pain came and I was n not able to shoot at all. I could do anything else apart from sitting. Till next 4 months doctors were telling its a normal back sprain. After 4 months I took MRI it showed minor broad based annular disc bulge in L5-S1 disc. I was not sitting or bending forward from very first day of this pain. And till last month I was not able to sit for 3-4 minutes without pain. Total 10 months are over for my injury. In these 10 months I tried everything, yes everything except surgery: Medication, yoga, physiotherapy, stretching, PT, acupressure, acupuncture, massage, Ayurveda punchkarma, walking, bed rest, and 2 shots of epidural steroid injections. Nothing helped. Not even 1% relief. I resigned my job, my fiancé got Married to some one else, I lost my total health and 20 kg of body weight. There was not a single day I didn't have a second thought "let me take a rebirth with a healthy spine"
    Finally I got relief from traction. And I can say that traction is the life saver. No doctor will tell you about traction specially in India because they just want to make more business out of your pocket. Though still I am not at my 100% but I got somewhere upto 60% relief. And as every one tells you can never get your 100% after a disc injury in lifetime. So again going to gym for weight lifting is out of question. I know you will feel bad about my this statement but this is the truth.
    If you need any help ping me on watsapp @8197772782. All the best.
    Shailesh Saxena, a Software Engineer and a victim of wrong form of weight lifting and situps/crunches & prolonged sitting. Broad based disc bulges in discs between L4-L5 & L5-S1. Not able to sit at all, not even 2 minutes due to sharp back pain.
  • Hi Nitin,
    I also suffered from this nasty back injury. But I followed a strict work plan and slowly I recovered. Bed rest is the worst thing you can do in case of disc injury. Try to avoid sitting , bending forward and any heavy weight lifting. Don't handle anything heavier than 5-6 kg. Don't expect any over night miracle. It will take time.
    If you need any help ping me on watsapp @8197772782 or facebook me on shaileshsaxena9@gmail.com
    Shailesh Saxena, a Software Engineer and a victim of wrong form of weight lifting and situps/crunches & prolonged sitting. Broad based disc bulges in discs between L4-L5 & L5-S1. Not able to sit at all, not even 2 minutes due to sharp back pain.
  • this is off topic, but how is your bicep bigger than your delts? even ifbb pros don't have arms that big man lol.
    did you take any ''supplements'' to help speed your disc recovery?
  • I'm on nervogene, Nortyptomer 75 mg, Enzosaf, Workride and Myosone plus. I hang on bar and do several stretches for spinal decompression.
    For your off topic reply: I was crazy for bodybuilding. I used to spend 80% of time on my arms and abs. But now its gone. All hard gained muscles are lost. Because I'm out of gym for last 10 months due to this nasty back injury.
  • i have an inversion table, and to be honest i feel it makes me worse. have u ever thought of getting a fusion so that you can return to lifting? part of the reason i have never healed my back since 2008 is i never stop lifting.
  • ritabixrritabix Posts: 1
    edited 03/29/2015 - 4:41 PM
    Glad to see i am not alone. I hurt my back deadlifting a year ago and i'm still in agony. I can't sit down. My hips, lower back, thighs are painful, The only position i'm pain free is when i'm still laying flat on my back. I've finally had an MRI and Spec scan. Yet to have my appointment for the results. I just want to wake up pain free