Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

failed l5s1 microdisectomy done dec14 and to be redone march looking for buddies

hoggsterhhoggster ScotlandPosts: 54
edited 02/23/2015 - 2:21 AM in Surgery Buddies
Hi folks looking im a 42year old male , i got first micro d in dec14 all was good everything done properly no bending lifting twiisting 6 weeks and then 20 jan pain from no where back to square 1 , confirmed by MRI 20 feb getting redone on 6th march any advice If you have been through this twice is much appreciated, as I don't know if the recovery will be the same is it sorerer how have you been am I in for more what expect your experience as you know this is a long road I've already been off work 6 months hopefully looking forward to chatting with you

• Hi, I had my second L4/5 microdiscetomy on Feb 4th and so far seems to be going ok. I'm not in any more pain than I was after the first op. Infact, maybe it is slightly easier but this might be that I am more experienced second time around so it is not so much of a body shock. I thought it may be worse because my neurosurgeon told me that he had the scar tissue to get through and so the op was slightly more invasive but it seems to be healing well. I am not taking any meds most of the time. I will this morning though because I started the take-home exercises yesterday and now my back feels weak and achey. I expect this to clear up as I get used to using the muscles again. My first prolapse was huge, and the second not as big but happened probably a couple of months later. I don't rememeber a particular event that may have caused it. This time round I am conscious of doing the exercises and getting onto a fitness programme to try and prevent it happening a third time. My neurosurgeon told me that disks don't regenerate so the chances of it happening again are 2%. Hope this helps
  • hoggsterhhoggster ScotlandPosts: 54
    edited 02/24/2015 - 9:28 AM
    I was the same as you huge bulge first time 2nd not as bad and I done everything as told as I knew the risks if you don't hmm that worked :( I thought just before couple of weeks and I can start work , but at least this time im going to do lots of walking as I was limited with bad weather here in Scotland I wish you luck in future Padmet
  • Drove my car for the first time today. Can really feel it now. Fingers crossed it hasn't caused any problems, just aching of muscles I haven't used in a while. Walking is good, not too many hills I think though
    Well done :) at least you can start to see light at the end of the tunnel, yeah I know our st is flat so it will be up and neighbours will think im crazy walking nice and straight without pushing my self
  • Hmm. Spent the whole day in bed so far, trying not to move due to back pain :/ Hoping this is just because I have been moving muscles not used for a while. Kicking myself a bit. Have first physio appt tomorrow so will need to drive again then. Going to investigate driving back supports, see what I can find. Do you know what caused your first prolapse?
    Sorry to hear your sore just take your time and listen to your body ,I asked my phsyio about air lumber support and she said no ? Don't know if it's cause of surgery may do more damage than good , as for me knowing what I done no the only thing I had done is walk then at 6 weeks started physio again very light and I've never over done it, as nerve damage over 5months im still on crutches but can hoble about I've been told of neurosurgeon that it can just happen no ryhme or reason and quite happy he is operating in just 2 weeks of seeing him this time but to be honest I think thats because I wrote a letter of complaint as I've been off work 6 months and no financial help from the system so quite up beat and looking forward to getting sorted
  • I did think it was really soon for you to be having your second op. Thought maybe the system in Scotland was far better than Wales! That is really good :) Good on you for writing a letter of complaint. Was starting to get to that point for me too. Waited something like eight months for my op and it was cancelled 4 times. Big pain in the bum when you arrange childcare each time. Also another reason why for me not doing too much is a bit of a challenge. The reason I say about back support is that a friend of mine has this surgery done and has radically changed the way she lives permenantly. I am told not to carry anything heavier than a tin of beans and she never ever, some years later now, carries anything heavier than that. Always wears a back support. Has a special lumbar support to fit in her car and lives really as though she has just has surgery.. but it worked for her and she hasn't had a problem since. After speaking to her I wonder if I have been looking at my rehab in the wrong way.. for example, after the first surgery, I thought, now I can only carry a tin of beans but in so many weeks I will be stronger and aimed to get back to being fully able and physically capable, like anyone else. The truth is, I think, that I am going to have to accept that I won't ever be able to do what everyone else can do, again, especially if i want to make sure it does not keep happening! That sounds really depressing doesn't it! Sorry! But I'm sure you know that it is a big fear once it has failed once already.
    Yes , accepting that we can't do as we did is a hard thing to get your head round it's really getting to me aswell , as you said its a big worry when the op has failed its the uncertainty that gets me
  • Saw my physio for the first time. He has a really positive attitude. I told him all my worries and fears about it happening again. He kind of snapped me out of this negative thought pattern. (it took a while tho) Most people have given me the advice to be careful, things have changed forever for me etc. Like I expressed in my last message. He was optimistic and said we could work hard to whatever level I wanted. He asked what would I like to be able to do again. I said salsa dancing with a laugh and he said yes, we can get you back doing that. It is going to take work and time though. He reminded me that rugby players get this same injury and get back out there on the pitch. Fully rehabilitated. Told me to stop thinking of my back as weak. That it hasn't been made weaker by surgery. Also that 2nd time round it is even more important to do the exercises early and more frequently as my nerve was tethered to the scar tissue from last time. He knew his stuff. Told me how the body becomes hypersensitive to pain when it has been chronic. So when I feel back pain it will always feel much worse than for someone who hasn't has chronic pain. He said just keep doing the work and take the painkillers. Thought it might be helpful for you to hear. It is so disheartening when it has gone wrong. Don't let it get you down. No reason why you shouldn't fully rehabilitate (as far as I know). Hope I am not being irritatingly positive :/ Just Turned my thoughts around a bit. Hope it helps. Not long now
    Yep , thats the way just want it done and dusted now fed up waiting , cant wait to get back to work away from the house and arguing , so glad your physio is so positive mine has stopped until after surgery but she always says one step at a time im giing to stick with the positivity of yours as you hear and read so many conflicting stories you just have to do your own thing , I was going to go a walk today but cant cause its snowing:( so will just have to wait until after surgery ;)
    Well this is it phoned hospital , bed confirmed op tomorrow yee ha will be back on soon hope all goes well for people going through op or recovering see ya