Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Struggling after 2 level ACDF

I had C4-C6 ACDF on Jan 23 so I'm just over 4 weeks out since surgery. I really needed C6-C7 done as well but my NS said he didn't feel comfortable doing it at my age (32). Anyways I went to my 2 week post op and was doing pretty good, I saw my NS assisting or student not sure what shes considered. I did tell her I was having quite a bit of pain in my right shoulder and arm still, same pain as before the surgery. At first she said it was how they strapped my shoulder down but then said if its nerve pain it could take up to a year for the nerves to regenerate. Which I knew was a possibility.

I'm on robaxin 750 mg every 6 hrs and norco 10/325. Initially they had me taking 1-2 every 4-6 hrs and at 2 weeks she dropped me down to 1 every 6 hrs. Which I wanted to drop down because part of the reason I wanted the surgery was to hopefully get my pain down and get off all the meds. I know from reading on this forum that you shouldn't have surgery for that reason but hey I can hope right. Even my NS said he thought it would help with that, as well as get the discs off my nerves and spinal cord.

I've really been struggling though because my pain has been up there since my follow up. Both shoulders still hurt and i have a pain that goes up the back right side of my neck into my head as well as daily headaches. I use a heat pad daily and have been doing my best to tough it out. I have an appt in about a week and a half for a 6 week post op and x-ray. But I'm debating on calling to see about an earlier appt. I have 4 children and have been taking care of them on my own since 1week post op as well as grocery shopping and other stuff. My husband tries to help as much as possible but I dont have a lot of family to help out. Is this just to be expected and I'm just being a baby or should I call my NS and express how much I'm struggling and hurting? Some days I just want to cry from frustration and pain among other feelings. I'm really worried I might have compromised my healing by doing so much so soon. And I'm wondering if I should talk to him about a nerve pain medication. He is 2 hours away so just going in isn't an option but I'm sure they would try an earlier appointment if needed. Any opinions? Sorry this was so long.

• Sounds normal to me that you're this painful only 1 month out from surgery, especially when you have 4 kids to take care of, almost on your own. I'm 11 weeks out now, and my neck in the last few weeks has become more painful, probably because I went back to work. It also got worse when I weaned off the collar, and when I started doing more at home.
    Are you taking straight Tylenol too? The nurse told me a maximum of 3000 mg/day - so I would have that in addition to oxycodone (or your Norco - which is 325 already). You can check with your doc the max allowed, then figure out what you can have. I took Tylenol every 8 hours like clockwork for the first 6 weeks or so.
    Everyone I know kept telling me to get a housekeeper to help out - HA!, I'm not getting a paycheck! I told them the kids were helping (mine are 10 and 11), so it was okay but not perfect - good enough! Make simple meals, make the kids help as much as they can, try not to lift anything heavy, let them fold their own clothes (yeesh, that killed me when I tried it). I know it's tough, but you have to do the least amount possible to let yourself heal.
    Good luck - it's tough with kids.

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• My older 3 children are very helpful but my 4 yr old is still very demanding. She does go to preschool 2x per week which helps give me a break. But she has been going to her daddy for everything because she's afraid to hurt me. Which is hard in itself because you see your child hurt or sick and wont come to you because she feels she can't :-(
  • Jess are you fully recovered now?