Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Doctor Not Helping Me!!!

I am only 19 years old I have flat feet and sciatica and back problems run on my moms side. In June of 2013 I noticed this sharp pain going down my leg, ignoring it, It got worse So I went to the Spine doctor in November of 2013 she told me to go to Physical therapy for 2 months and if that did not help she would give me the Shot in my spine she prescribed me with a Medicine to help with the Numbness which I stopped taking and also 15 MG of Meloxicam this seemed to help for about a week but after that the pain came back even after I took them so I switched back to my Ibuprofen. So I did the therapy and no relief, At this point its January 2015 and the pain was getting so bad I went back to General Practitioner, I told her the pain was still bad and the Physical Therapy Did nothing and the Meloxicam worked and then stopped, So then she switched me to 25 MG of Topiramate I took this for a week and it did nothing, So We called the doctors office and asked if she could prescribe me a actual Pain Reliever that would take away the pain, She said no, She said to keep taking the Topiramate because I had to get it in my system in order for it to work. My most recent trip was about a week ago, It lasted about 10 minutes She said nothing about the Shot which she said she would give me instead she told me she wanted me to get a MRI and she Upgraded the Toprimate a Dosage. I have been taking Toprimate for about 2 months now and it has done nothing for me I take over 10 Ibuprofen a day which is Horrible for my stomach but Nothing else seems to help and the doctor wont do anything else for me. I'm in so much daily pain it has become unbearable, I'm not someone to complain, I don't see why the doctor is doing this to me. She lied about giving me the shot, Then she told me she can't give me any pain reliever... Is this normal in the Medical Field?? She set up another appt for me Sometime Mid March and It has already cost 200$ Just in Copay for basically nothing, She has done nothing for me. My next step is to go to a Chiropractor to see if he can straighten out my spine so it wont be leaning on that nerve and give me some relief. I'm Praying this will help because I cant deal with this for another 7 months

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,874
    Spinal injections (ESI) are something that need to be justified by the doctor and have insurance approval prior to administering the injection. Perhaps there was not enough justification to warrant the ESI.
    In any case, just ask her why.

How did you determine that you have sciatica? What diagnostic tests were done to verify this? In everything I read of your thread, there was no formal diagnosis by a doctor. Just that you have pain and that you have been offered various types of medications along with physical therapy.

Before any more action can be taken a formal diagnosis needs to happen. Then more corrective actions can be taken. If additional medications are called for, then that might be an option. Without a diagnosis that is not much any doctor can do except for very conservative treatments.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,817
    See what the MRI says it may lead you to some treatment
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.