Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just found out I will need surgery

Dcs90DDcs90 Posts: 74
edited 02/23/2015 - 7:56 PM in New Member Introductions
I had a cervical mri one year ago that showed two ruptured disk, facet arthrosis, osteophytes and mild stenosis. Emg showed chronic denervation and radiculopathy at c6/c7. Symptoms were severe migraines and left arm and neck/shoulder pain. For the past year I have had numerous facet injections and epidural steroid injections, along with pain medication and muscle relaxers. The migraines have decreased after radio frequency ablation. Unfortunately, the neck and shoulder pain has been worse. Lots of numbness, tingling and has moved to right side as well. New MRI ordered and now shows 4 herniated disc, as well as moderate facet arthritis and the spinal cord is now impinged. Images sent to surgeon who said it was definitely a surgical matter. I see him this week. I know to get more than one opinion, but would really like some input on best questions to ask. I don't even know what kind of surgery would be recommended at this point, so where would best place to start research? I would love to hear from anyone else with similar problems and what treatment you pursued. Thanks!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    edited 02/24/2015 - 2:58 AM
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The 40 questions are a terrific list and I will print them before I go. It seems like spinal surgery is one of the most complicated medical decisions to make. So very little is black and white. I was told that cord impingement makes it more if a necessity than a choice as once function starts to decline you may not get it back. That's why I am hoping to find people with that similar diagnosis to ask about what different options they chose.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    My first was in 1978, sort of the barbaric ages. Today, many of the surgeries have become common place.
    Still any spinal surgery is still a big undertaking.

The disc impinging a nerve root is in fact the one spinal situation where you do want to have the surgery sooner than later. But of course, that depends on how your doctor views it.

When a nerve root is impinged, its is damaged, the longer than last that one without relief, the longer it can take to heal. In some cases if it is left untreated for an extended period of time, the nerve may be damaged permanently.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com