Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DDD,& life changes

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I just found this site and find it really wonderful and filled with information.
I have two very close disks in my lower back and DDD. Recently this weekend I canceled a planned camping trip due to pain left over from my last one three weeks ago. Although I am not using my cane right now I am in allot of discomfort.
I saw an accupunturist that put me back on my feet but I tend to break out afterwards and am finishing up some antibiotics. Along with some asprins and anti inflamatorys. They don't really work too good. And anti-depressants give me seizures and I want to keep my drivers licence.
I found pregnazone to work really well but now I am on a diet. And at first chyropractor visits worked but that does not due it any more.
I looked at all the info on surgery and I don't qualify. Excercise other than short walks tends to aggravate it. And I won't get addicted to narcotics again.
Any way I wish I did not have to wait ten years till I am sixty to get through simple activities, like cleaning or bending or even sitting at the piano or desk.
Basically I am just looking for some advise. I am tired of exrays and MRI's. And the sports med place is expensive and does really little to help.

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. perhaps you need to try to add in some swimming if possible. it puts no stress on the joints or discs and could give you the exercise you need. losing weight can always help. as well i do stretching and building my core muscles. getting an exercise ball and sitting on it correctly to work your core is something that can be done at any pain level. there is info about it under "Wellness" at the top of the forum. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • Thanks Jenny,
    we have a pool here and it will feel good to get some relief. Do you have any advise for coordination in the hands lost from arthritis? My right hand is slowly becoming a club and I cant seem to manipulate the dexterity like I used to.
  • :) hi! i don't have that type of problem and can only suggest things like squeezing rubber balls or moving a pencil through your fingers. i would think anything that would keep your hands moving in different ways. do you have access to a PT? they would be alot of help and show you exactly what would help you. good luck and remember if you don't use them, you will lose them! Jenny :)
  • I don't have any advice, Fred, as I'm newly diagnosed (more or less) but I do want to tell you to hang in there!! :)

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    Sorry to hear you are in discomfort. But for any doctor to put a corrective action plan in place, diagnostic tests need to be performed. Degenerative Disc Disease is NOT nearly as bad as the word seems. DDD is the normal aging of our spines. This process can start at different ages and there are different factors that can start the DDD process and/or make it advance quicker.
    I wasn't sure what you meant when you said that you looked up all the information on surgery and you are not a candidate.
    Is that something a doctor has told you based on tests?
    Surgery is NOT always the answer for certain situations.
    There are so many conservative treatments that should be reviewed and considered before surgery is an option. Only after all those measures are taken (Physical and Aqua Therapy, Ultrasound, Passive Traction, Massage therapy, Acunpuncture, Spinal Injections, etc) should surgery be considered.

As much as you seem to not like CT and MRI's, those are going to be some of the tests necessary to accurately identify what your problem is.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.