Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain that's getting worse

TashiaTTashia Posts: 2
edited 02/27/2015 - 5:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this site but reading through some of the topics I am hoping someone can help me. I was diagnosed with Spina Bifida Occulta when I was 19 after suffering bad back pain while I was pregnant with my son. The doctor said me being pregnant put too much strain on my back, but that was six years ago and the pain is still there. He said with my condition I should not be in pain, and that I am too young to be on pain medication. I saw a neurologist and they put me on Neurontin to help my nerves but they also said I should not be in pain. They said since I was young, there was no point in having surgery and risk paralyzing me. but they said it Is degenerative and that by the time I am 30 I will probably need to have surgery. I have to wait until I cannot control my body for someone to help me. I went in for pain and they told me to lose weight. I am now 100 pounds (I am only 4'11, so I'm naturally small) and the pain is still there. Now it is progressing to my legs and my feet get ice cold. My middle back has also started hurting and I don't know Why. I have only had one CT scan done when I was first diagnosed ( I have a pacemaker so I cannot do MRIs) and no one has really seemed interested in helping me since then. What do I do and How do I convince people and doctors that I am in pain? Why should I have to wait until I'm paralyzed to get help? Everything is getting worse and no one wants to help. My family believed me but doctors do not. How do I fight that? Thank you for reading and if anyone has any advice Please let me know.
Tashia Gorham

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • im about the same age as you, and in the same situation. my injuries are not healing, and new parts of me hurt eeryday. noone seems to be able to answer why though.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,806
    Many doctors have said that to people before they recieved an actual diagnosis, "you shouldnt be in pain" does not mean you are not in pain the doctors just cannot find the reason at this time. If a doctor says just because your scans are ok and they cant find issue that you are not in pain or cant be in pain then that doctor should be fired as your doctor. Keep looking and seek second opinion and dont stop looking. If you have been in progressing pain 6 years and the doctors think surgury could be answer when older then something needs to be found and treated.
    Pain does not discriminate but at times doctors make comments like you are to young to take pain meds and it makes you think that it does. That is not right, if they dont think you need them that is one thing, but to be to young if there is a need for pain management means nothing. I to was told that in my mid 20's.
    What kind of doctor are you seeing?
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Hi, I am also new to this site. Had my L5 S1 surgery 3 weeks ago. I am trying not to take pain meds. I don't know what the process is for this. I am finding that I still have to take them at least twice a day to walk around. My follow up is not until my 6th week post op. Now, I am having a new sympton. Hip pain after being up for too long. I feel as if I should be make more progress.