Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I have finally hit a bump in the road to recovery. A cold. I noticed what seemed like the on-set the first day home from the hospital, but thought it was just from the tube down my throat and the lasting effects of the anesthesia. But now I have a full blown summer cold. When I sneeze or cough, I am so scared I'll blow by back out. :)

• Hi Hawk,
    I went through the same with hayfever after my 4 level fusion. Everytime I sneezed I felt I went to hell and back. Then my brother (natropath) said to try to blow out any air in my lungs as soon as I think I am going to sneeze. It is a a bit like in labour puffing out, but boy does it makes such a difference. Doesn't stop the sneeze but it does take the pressure out of it.
    You wont do any damage to your instremtation but a bad sneeze can really pull your muscles.
    My OS said to cause any damage to my screws rods etc, I would pretty much have to fall out a first storey window. (I was really nervous about falling) so that was good to know.

Bless you in advance :D
  • Here's a tissue for you Hawk!

Im sorry you are sick on top of recuperating, that totally stinks. I think if you hold a pillow on your belly when you sneeze that could help.

Hang in there and take your vitamins. Also are you still doing your breathing exercises with that ball thingy? Did they give you one in the hospital? That will help to clear you lungs so as not to get pneomonia, which is common after having that tube down your throat if you are not careful. Do your breathing exercises. You will end up coughing up yuky stuff, but you have to get it out.

• hi there,
    you poor thing.
    all i can offer is to make sure that you brace yourself and place hands on front and back, its a killer, i know but hopefully you will get over it in good time,
    all the best,
    AJ x
  • ...thing!!! Hawk, we are all right there with you!!! :) I seem to remember that I had a cold at about 3 months post-op and it wasn't fun. Just do all the normal things that you do to get over it. The very first time I sneezed after surgery I still had my staples in and I couldn't believe how awful that felt!!! :D

Then at my 7 week visit when we went to go get the staples out we had to cross railroad tracks twice and I thought I'd died!!! It wasn't as bad though as gettin up out of the hospital bed for the first time! Now THAT'S am evemt I'll never forget!!! :D :D :D

Hope you feel better soon!
  • I love coming here, it's like advice from my mommy :)

I guess the best thing with this cold is it is keeping me from trying to do too much. I've been spanked by the wife for TRYING to vacuum and TRYING to sweep the floor.