Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery Count Down...

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

I am working like a madwoman these last few days before going in for surgery - am I avoiding thinking about it all or am I really trying to 'get it all done'? It's debatable ;) In any case, it's 12 hour days for me these last few days before the big day.

Anyway, since I am working so much, I'm not sure that I'll be back online before I go in.

In case I can get back online - any last minute suggestions?

I've gone shopping for:

PJ's (can't be wearing those holey things)
Long arm scrubby
Foot scrubby (it sits on the floor and you rub your foot over it)
Pump shampoo and rinse (easier to get :))
Basket for bedside with:
Paper pad
A few books close by (I wonder if I'll be able to read?)
Planner with phone #'s
Granola bars
Space for meds

My laptop cord is going to be pinned to the comforter, same for my cell phone charger - can't be losing cords under the bed!

I'm trying to get everything set up before I go in, I won't have a lot of help after I come home - DH is in Iraq, my married son that lives with me is now flying and will be home a total of 4 days in July, his wife works everyday. My mother will be helping, taking care of my 6 year old, but I'll be alone a lot I'm sure. Too bad my bedroom is upstairs. Oh well.

Oh, and I totally chickened out on buying the raised potty seat, and it's a good thing, I ran into old friends in the store and I'm so grateful I didn't have to explain that one! LOL!

• The only thing that I might add would be a grabber. If you are going to be on your own this is a must. Also nightgowns worked better for me instead of PJ's. since that back brace was so large and goes on the outside.

Best of luck, keep us posted!!!
  • you have the bases covered and I really like the pinning of cords to your bed...a very smart move. Anyway , good luck to you and take care... :)
  • I would recommend putting everything you use on a daily or semi daily basis on the counter top, window ledge or any high area so that you don't have to bend over.

Also I like placing the laundry hamper on a chair so that dirty clothes can be accessed easier or placed in there easier.

If you don't have a grabber, a golf club or BBQ tongs work in a pinch.

• Saltz,

I'm impressed with your organizational abilities! :)

I had PJs and gowns and found that gowns worked the best. I also bought t-shirts, the kind like muscle shirts, so the brace could go on that, and then my gown or PJs covered everything. That way, you also don't have to take everything off just to go potty!

A putting on a brace note, if you'll be having one: The brace folks will teach you to put it on while laying down. I too only had help for the first 4 days at home, so I learned to put the brace on while standing. I'd sit the brace in a chair, pull the back one up behind me and then lean on the wall corner or the corner of the TV cabinet, and then I'd put the front one on semi-tightly and then retighten the 4 straps so that it was as snug as it'd felt when I'd put in on laying down.

That insidious plastic pitcher from the hospital? ;) I wedged the handle of it into the hinge of the walker in order to my phones in it. That way, when I went for my walk, if I fell or something, I'd have a phone with me. When the walker sat nexr to my bed, I'd put the TV remote in it so I could find it.

I lived off of grilled cheese sandwiches for weeks. It was the only thing that sounded good! And it wasn't too difficult to make!

Having been totally spoiled by the potty chair, I am still using mine over the commode. I love having the handles!!!! Any engineers out there who can make this permanent on regular toidies???

Good luck to you!!!!!!!1 You'll have moments that feel rough, but you'll get through it, and hopefully you get to a point where you feel better!!! I'm grateful to have had my surgery and to my surgeon who did an exemplary job!

Let us know what else you need!