Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Reclining as a work solution

lw33llw33 Posts: 5
edited 02/28/2015 - 7:58 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi, like many of you, I've struggled with recurring back problems for over 8 years now, both disc and muscular problems. Just turned 30, and through all this time, I've pushed and pushed to carry on through my desk job. Yes, I get up regularly, I even have a sit/stand desk. However, I feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle. I've been off work for 4 weeks now - the longest time I've ever had off. Due to see the neurosurgeon on Tuesday (probably leading to my 3rd MRI scan since this all started). I plan to ask his advice on my work set up but would be interested to hear experiences of fellow sufferers.

Basically I'm fed up of the idea that sitting at a rigid 90 degree angle at a desk is the best option. The amount of energy that goes into warding off the pain (often unsuccessfully) is ridiculous - it's tsken over my life.

I've come to believe that working in a reclined position would be the best solution in order to take the pressure off my spine, with my monitor on an adjustable arm so that it can be positioned suitably. Working from home would allow me to do this, still fulfill my work obligations, and give me the flexibility to get up regularly and exercise freely as and when I feel strong. I'm hoping that this set up would improve my quality of life immensely. The trouble is changing the perception that people working on computers need to be in office chairs. My employer has agreed to work from home in the short term (still need to tackle this as a long term solution), but they won't allow it until they visit my house to do a traditional desk assessment (i. e. they're expecting a desk and office chair) . Has anyone ever had their employer aprove a reclined work set up? If so, has working in a reclined position improved your ability to manage your condition? Any experience would be greatly appreciated.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Sometimes I feel completely along in my situation. I too work an office job and have 2 herniation in my neck which causes not only great pain in my neck but also my upper back and arms. I just started going to doctors and such and have just now started to think about different ways I can work that will make it more bearable. Technically I can do my job from home but my manager is really weird about working from home even if for a day (now keep in mind she works from home every Friday!). Not sure what her issue is because there are a lot of people in my company that work from home at least once a week.

I get nervous to even bring up the option. My BF who is in the medical field even suggested a reclining position with the computer higher up somehow. I don't know. I do know that I would be far more comfortable working from my home. One issue I have as well is if the pain gets unbearable and I have to take my meds I can't do so till I get home for obvious reasons. At least if I worked from home that wouldn't be an issue.

I've tried sitting and standing neither of which seems to work out well for me. It feels the same. I wish I could say I had experience in this to share with you but I'm just in the beginning part of figuring out what I need to do. I look forward to hearing about others experiences.

If you do an internet search for "reclining work stations" wow there are some awesome ideas. It looks very comfortable too. Good luck and keep us up to date on how things go.
  • Thanks, it's reassuring to know that I'm not alone. Work is often a real struggle and I totally share your frustration re bosses. Mine 'wants me to be there as part of the team', but doesn't seem to appreciate how much effort both in and outside work hours that goes into just managing the pain (which I'm totally failing to do right now, but I'm hoping that he'll realise the seriousness when i get back to work). I've been apprehensive to raise the issue with him again but continuing to ignore the problem has just made it worse.

The thing that really frustrates me is that whilst I'm expected to be 'part of the team' with a genuine confirmed medical condition, a couple of colleagues with kids are allowed flexible working hours and work from home to take care of their children. I definitely plan to raise this, and I'm going to get HR involved this time too (who agreed to temporarily working from home already). Just hope I can convince them of the reclining workstation also. The more i read, the more I'm convinced this is the way forward. All I want is to be able to do my job with reduced pain and without further risking my health. Having said that, I'd be interested to hear whether anyone has tried anything like this but not found that it ultimately helped their situation??