Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spondylolthesis and spinal stenosis

hi guys,
I am a 39 year old wife and mum to two kids. In June 2012 had pain start in left leg and then lower back all on the left side. MRI done and spondylolthesis grade 2 with spinal stenosis was diagnosed. Surgeon stated that my spine was bowing out and was unstable. It was trapping my nerves and there was a lot of debris floating around. As you can all imagine I was devastated. He said I had had it from birth and unfortunately i was part of that 15/20% where it just goes. He did some stretching and lifting of my legs etc and said he didn't understand how I could still lift my legs into certain positions.I have hyper mobility in my back legs and arms. He said this might hinder me on my recovery.I had to go off sick from work 3 weeks before the op which he found amazing as the condition was bad.I had a pedicel screw fixation done in May 2013 , from L1 /S5 . I had to go private as the wait was so long on the NHS and I was in agony. My leg was going numb and buckling and couldn't stand in one position for longer than a minute. I had some relief sitting down and leaning forward, but not for long.He said the surgery went well, the muscles were very tight on the right hand side and he had to do a lot of muscle dicection?.I was in for 5 days and sent home on Pregabalin 150mg, steroids and morphine. I saw the physio there at 4 and 7 weeks. She said I was far behind in recovery and in all the years she had worked there she knew no other patient sent home on all the meds ihad been given. As you can imagine for the first 2 months recovery I was in a world of " everything is groovy". I finally got down to 50mg Pregabalin and no pain meds and returned back to work November 2013. The first month was a phase return and no pain in my back or leg. In January 2014 I began to have pain in my groin gradually getting worse then the bum, hip, leg and a burning sensation across my back where my bra strap is. I was checked in A&E twice through to April for DVT s and Cauda Equinna Syndrome. No luck. Had some kind of electro nerve test that came back fine.MRI and CT scans showed screws and bolts all positioned correctly, but some compromise of the L5 nerve root. Compromised by what? By now I am on 400mg Pregabalin and 6-8 Tramadol. I have noticed the pain also gets worse when on my monthly cycle. Anyone else noticed this?.I am using my crutches all the time and feel I have gone totally backwards. I can't lie flat on my back it is agony and seems to lock up. I have spasms/jerks 5/6 daily and can't lie on my left side.I have lost my job due to my sickness record and am not living, just existing. I can't play etc with the kids and look after them properly. In August 2014 I had 3 steroid injections in one sitting, and 2 epidural nerve blocks in January 2015. Nothing changed with the pain. The pain consultant thinks it is bad scarring, the sacrial joints looks good and they can't see any spinal stenosis etc. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be or had this surgery and side effects ? Any ideas etc would be greatly appreciated.I have seen in the NHS NICE guidelines that steroid/epidural injections cannot be used unless a diagnosis has been given first and they would benefit the patient .So why am I having these injections ? I was a Health Care Support Worker (children's community nursing team) for the NHS , and I was messed around constantly chasing ct and MRI scans and waiting 5 months etc for appointments. It is no different for staff who are trying to get better and back to work. Thanks for your time, Kerry