Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Here Cervical Spine Problems

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
:) Hi there:

I am new to these Forums. I have had severe and getting worse pain especially in my left elbow for about a year and a half. I am left handed. The pain gets pretty bad in my right elbow too. I also have intermittent tingling in some of my fingers.

I was told July 3rd that based on Cervical Spine MRI's I am looking at major neck surgery. My spine doctor said I'll be needing disc replacement (hardware being put in) and I don't know what else. I do know it involves c3 to c7 levels of my Cervical Spine. She mentioned narrowing of a canal (stenosis) putting pressure on nerves.

I see a surgeon Monday July 21st who specializes in this kind of surgery. He has been doing this 26 years and looks like he has excellent credentials.

Thanks for having me. You look like a great group!

Ken GreyEagle
56 yr old Cherokee
Type 2 Diabetes under good control

• Welcome to spine-health...
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please check the Back and Neck surgery section as well as the Neck section for some more input. i am sorry to see you are having so much pain. please keep us posted. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • Glad you found this site. I hope you find the friendship, useful advice and support that I have enjoyed here.
  • Ken GreyEagle and welcome to the forum. You will find so much support and understanding here , the members are amazing. If there is ever anything that I can do to help then please just let me know. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing. Take care....Miki
  • Hi Miki

Thanks for the welcome! I'm certainly going to be as active as I can here. I want to learn all I can from others and contribute as I am able.

When you have a surgery like the Titanium Plates put in like you did at c5 and 6 how long to they keep you in hospital? What is the estimated recovery time before resuming normal activities?

My DO told me with my stenosis and multi-level disc bulging my surgery would be pretty extensive (Fun Times ahead, lol).

I think I finally found an experience where I can honestly say, 'You know, I'd rather visit the dentist!'

Ken GreyEagle

p.s. I like your tagline!
  • hello Ken GreyEagle and welcome to the forum. sorry I can't help you with your question since I'm a lumbar spiney but I'm sure lots of others will be here answering your questions.

Best of luck to you and keep posting...

• I actually came home the same day as my surgery. I have had problems following my surgery but not necessarily from the surgery....there are several other things going on in the cervical area and shoulder area...we are working on getting those taken care of. Thank you that you like my sig line....I appreciate it....Miki
  • Hi there and welcom to Spine-Health!!!

I just wanted to greet you and also tell you that I have issues with my cervicle spine and I too am trying to get a surgery date.

I have issues from C 3- C7 as well. At the last Neurologist visit he seemed undecided about doing a 2 or 3 level ACDF. He initially wanted to do a 2 level C 4-5 and C 5-6 ACDF. He is still not sure if he wants to include C 3-4 since there is a damaged and bulging disc there as well that upon a discogram shows pain coming from that area too.

I will see an Orhto Surgeon for a second and then go back to the NS after and hopefuly it will get sorted out and I can get a surgery date.

The same as you ACDF with titanium plates and screws.

Yes it is a big surgery especially at so many levels. I have some fears and questions about the surgery myself. We can stick together on this one and go through it together. That is one cool thing about this board. We do not have to go through this stuff alone.

I really wish you all the best and if you need any extra support please feel free to PM me anytime.

• Welcome to the forum, it helps so much when there are others to relate to! When I had my ACDF surgery it was the best thing I ever did! The moment I woke up the arm pain was gone!! My recovery was about 8-9 weeks. I took 12 weeks off owrk to enjoy a little vacation with out restrictions. I too have developed other problems and had a 2nd surgery that was very painful(posterior approach) but am slowly feeling better. Welcome and good luck to you! Allison