Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I know its early, but I wanted to past an update...It has been a long process of getting my pain under control. That was with me and my doc even deciding take me off the fentanyl patch and switch to 10mg Percs every four hours, prior to surgery. I highly suggest to keep this in mind if you are having some type of fusion surgery in the future. Also, It could have been that I had no emotional support here, but the night of the surgery and day after, were brutal. I was literally crying an hour before my meds were do...straight. Between the Percocet, Dilaudid, and Valium I was still in too much pain. So they added a 50mcg Fentanyl patch, and it saved my life. It is usually a trial and error with drugs anyways....espically if weve been on narcotics prior to surgery (which most of us have). Just my advice....I should be out by Sunday. I am walking like crazy and was up the night of surgery...even with all the pain.

Also, I know its early, but my doc said I should be feeling "different" pain from my day to day....like it should be better just "surgical pain," and its not. He said if there isn't a significant improvement by my post op date, he is going to write a referral to pain management for long term. I didn't even know they didn't need to do that. We are both extremely sad about this....but we will see. Still keeping our fingers crossed...

That being said...back surgery isn't a "quick fix" like a lot of readers think it is...or maybe that's how they come across on here. It isn't just a straight black and white area to go in and fix, and if you have problems on more than one level like me, you can forget about it. Im not saying there aren't success stories, because there are. Every case is different...even if you have the same problems as someone else. Back surgeries give a 50/50 chance at making pain better...this is completely normal. Just something to keep in mind.....
Spine-Health Moderator 
Ankylosing Spondylitis
Bulging discs T12-L3
Annular Tears with Disc Extrusion L4-S1
Moderate Central Canal Stenosis
Moderate Foraminal Stenosis
Enlarged Facet Joints/Ligaments
Spinal enthesopathy
L4-L/5 PLIF with cages, rods, screws 2/15 

• Don't give up so early. I was in terrible pain right after surgery. I remember telling the nurse it was an 11. It's a long, slow process, but it will get better.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • The first few weeks are the most challenging. This is where sedatives , ice and friends or family members to assist are everything. Great to hear you were walking that soon after! For myself , walking was huge for rehab. Stay strong as it does get better. Keep us posted on your progress!
    Bilateral L5 spondylolysis L5 with grade I anterolisthesis L5-S1.
    Stable multilevel degenerative spondylosis contributing to mild canal
    narrowing L2-3 and L3-4.
    360 ALIF & PLIF L-4 - S-1 on 8/11/14