Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, I have been thinking about buying a new chair of some sort prior to my PLIF on Aug. 5. The current seating in my living room is a cushy sectional, and I doubt this is going to work post surgery. My post-op instructions (yep, I have them already) say I am only allowed to sit for 10 minutes of every hour. I am thinking of buying a recliner and wonder if fully reclined would it still constitute sitting? Any recommendations on the best sort of chair for sitting post fusion surgery? I have room in my living room, so thought I'd splurge for the occassion and get something useful. Thanks, Sue

• I wouldn't go out and spend money on a new reclyner, just due to the fact you're going to be reclyned all the time anyway on your couch, in bed wherever.I just have a heap of pillows on my sectional, and position them anyway comfortable. As far as sitting in a chair, I couldn't for about 6 weeks. Needed a tv tray for my meals, (which I didn't want to eat, yulk!!) then sometimes when my hubby would cook for me, and I would make it into the dinning room, I could only sit for about 5 minutes, it hurt SO BAD!!! It was much more comfortable laying reclyned a little on the couch to try to eat. I drank a lot of those nutritional drinks cause I didn't want to eat due, to all the drugs and constant pain. (I had a three level fusion though) But it wasn't until I was about 12 weeks before I could sit at the table for about 15 minutes. Good luck on your surgery, and listen to a "T" to your doc!!
  • My NS scolded me for reclining so I wouldnt go out and get a recliner w/o talking to your NS. It puts too much strain on the muscles in your back that are trying to heal. Sit straight up or lay flat. It is so tempting to recline because it is so comfortable, but it is bad for the healing process.
  • ...at my dining room table so that I could pull and push in and out in order to eat. To begin with, I could only sit about 10 minutes and then I couldn't WAIT to get out of the chair. At 9 months post-op I still use that chair...I'm now spoiled and think I want new dining room chairs that are all on rollers!!! :D :D

My living room couch and chairs all recline, and while I enjoy them now (and can get in and out of them with no problem) I can't imagine having been in one right after surgery.

I bought a new chair for my office desk also...found a Sealy Posturepedic that has all the bells and whistles you could want in a chair at one of the office/computer stores. It was MUCH less expensive than some of the new foo-foo brands being touted in advertising.

Recently I bought a slender leather recliner at one of those Scandinavian type stores that I like a lot. It reclines by pushing on the back and has a foot stool so you wouldn't have to bend forward and sideways to pull on the foot crank!

• I use our kitchen chair with a gel cushion seat and a lumbar cushion or our nice computer ergonomic chair. The sofa is too cushy and the surgeon warned against the recliner. Let us know what works. The computer chair has wheels so I can take it wherever I want while standing behind it and walking with it-that's another bonus.
  • Wow, thanks for the advice. My surgery instructions do not mention recliners. I was hoping maybe it would count as lying down, but I guess not. My sectional is kind of low and squishy. Now I prop myself in the corner of it with lots of pillows, but I think this won't work after surgery. I feel like my back is not straight in this position and it would be hard to get up off of. I think I'm gonna be stuck with the bed more than anything unfortunately. I think I'll just invest in some satin sheets instead :)
  • Cali-Sue,
    I found that my couch and even the single sofa chairs were too low and 'Squishy" for me to get in and out of so was only sitting on my computer chair.
    After a week or so I went to a foam/rubber shop and had peices of foam cut to the size of my chair. You can choose how firm you want it and how this you want it. Just take the measurements along and it was very cheap.
    I fut tis under the real cushion adn can really feel the difference.
    Best thing I did.

• Good idea Sara,
    I'll keep that in mind. A recliner sounded great but with all this input I got to thinking I would probably not be able to put the feet up or down without bending or twisting my back, so no go on that idea. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what works. Thanks, Sue
  • Cali-

I am almost 4 months post op and sitting on anything that is not hard is still incomfortable. I can sit on some things at home but when I go somewhere and try to sit on something else is changes the way my back feels.
    I guess my point is I would not spend the money on something new when you wont know until post op if you will even like sitting on it. Thats's just my thought anyway! Good luck to you!
  • Thanks for the advice 5kids, I am going to wait for now. Sue