Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Man, Im tanking fast!!

steve55ssteve55 Posts: 86
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
While Ive been sitting here for a few weeks waiting for my "Plasma disc decompression" procedure scheduled for 7/14 , Ive been getting much worse. On monday , I'm gonna have to call the doctor for the big guns of pain meds (whatever that may be, hopefully morphine?? I need it!! ). AFter taking ultracet and aleve for the last 5 months, they are no longer working. I had read on these forums how people have trouble sleeping at night because of their pain, and for the first time, Im in that category too. I cant find any head position that doesnt start hurting witin a few seconds. Same goes for my right thigh. Im constantly moving positions. Theback of my right buttock and thigh is acting up with a odd feeling that is hard to describe, almost like the feeling you get right before a leg cramp occurs. Really strange sensation. I also have issues below the waste including urinary creep and my sphincter contracting randomly. Both these symptoms only occur when my back and neck are acting up, mainly at nights. When my back is soemwhat better in the day, I dont have any of these symptoms. What is frustrating is that the doctors, including the 2nd opinion neurologist think these below the waste symptoms are altogether seperate issues. But I am 100% certain they are related. I can feel it. Further proof that these are not seperate issues is that I went to a urologist who suspected a prostate infection so I went through a course of antibiotics including the mother load antibiotic injection as a precaution when I had my discogram and I still have these symptoms!! Im not going to waste my time and money on more urology tests when I can feel in my body that they are connected to my cervical bulging discs.If these dont clear up after I finally fix my back, then Ill let the urologist dig deeper. I am so perplexed that no other cervies have ever reported these issues. Though the internet is full of info saying they can occur form cervical issues. Also, oddly enough, ever since Ive had this issue, my left ear sometimes gets a cold sensation, like as if there is ice on it.

Lastly, over the last 3 days the joints on the right sides of my hips and the front balls of my feet have been incredibly tender. It hurts to even walk. Ive never ever had these symptoms in my life. Im a athletic 40 yr old. I dont have a frail body, and I always work out. My body is falling apart and its freaking me out. I cant imagine a cervcical issue causing tenderness in the balls of my feet. and I am not going so far as to blame that symptom on my cervies, but maybe its due to my system reacting to the incredible stress and pain I am going through? I wonder if its because Im taking too much aleve's or ultracets? The whole thing is freaky.

Well, if the plasma disc decompression doesnt work, Im taking the first plane to Germany and getting my ADR's. I really cant stand the pain for another 2-4 months while I fight United healthcare to approve a 2 level ADR. I would consider fighting them if the docs can dope me up enough so i wont suffer so much while I wait but then there is the issue of further time in this condition causing possible permanent nerve damage. Besides, i seriously doubt i would win and even if I did, my doctor says they wont do it cause the insurance co's have been coming back to the doctors after the fact and asking for their money back. Yes, they approve the procedure and then later say their approval was a mistake and ask the doctors for their money back. Is that F'd up or what?

• Steve, what is this procedure? I have never heard of this.

I hope you are able to get it approved quickly if it will help you. I completely understand the no sleep thing. Good luck.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • This procedure is so new that I cant find any one else posting this procedure on any boards out there. My doctor is world famous for being among the first to actually use these minimally invasive cutting edge procedures. Its brand spankin new. They stick a needle into your disc and chemically burn out lines of tunnels in them such that afterwards, the remaining nuclues material fills into these tunneled lanes such that the remaining disc de bulges or de compresses.
  • Interesting theory. This sounds a lot less invasive than surgery, and if it works, could be a wonderful advance in medical science. Keep us posted on how it works.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Yes i definitely will. My doctor has been in newsweek, us news and world report, new york times, and readers digest, and good monring america, SAT-1 German Television, and on fox 4 news. He was and is invloved with FDA trials for the maverick and prestige ADR.

He is world renounced because of his focus on minimally invasive procedures. Ive checked on 3 back message board forums and no one has posted as having it done yet. So, I guess Ill be the first. :)
  • Hope this procedure is a success for you. It sounds promising! As for pain meds there are lots of them out there that are effective. Hope they hit on one for you. I have heard of people having lower body issues with cervical stuff though I've not suffered from that myself. I doubt if you're alone. I think it is very wise to trust your instincts here. As you said after the procedure you can look further into it if it hasn't gone away. I find that docs in general go on their history and there are many of us who present dilemmas. We don't seem to fall into the "usual and customary" patient profile. I hope you find success and find it soon!

This discussion has been closed.