Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What Treatment Should I Seek?

I am lost. I am not sure where to begin. I suppose telling you that I have been diagnosed with a L5/S1 Spondylosis categorized as moderate. That is the easy part. Having a young daughter in remission from terminal brain cancer has wiped me out financially along with my now ex-wife. My medical insurance with Anthem Blue Cross hit $800/mo. and that was the breaking point. I had to end the insurance and sadly go on MediCal. That sucks! I tried signing up for an Obama Care plan and was refused a subsidy because I could not show on paper that I make $60k a year. Now they want me to attend the Pain Management Clinic that is geared more towards drug addicts that want the good stuff to use and sell. Photo ID's; random drug tests, etc. I am expected to hand over the pain medications that were just refilled. They have been working to a large extent (Oxycodone, Robaxin, Gabapentin, Ibuprofen and Tylenol.) This is sub-standard treatment.

OK. This forum is about treatment so let me get there. I am going to do everything I can to move towards treatment. I have radiculopathy mainly in the right leg with numb toes, but now have numbness on the left foot. I suspect that my condition is worsening. I don't know if I need the Cortisone shots that will likely contain Lidocaine. If so the numbness in my feet is already unbearable. It makes me want to scream!!! The Lidocaione patches seem to increase them numbness but are effective to some extent.

So then do I move towards a Neurosurgeon consult without the shots or with them? I don't know how I will get them on MediCal without attending the Pain Clinic. To be honest I am scared to death of the surgery as well. I read WebMD and they described the process of a Laminectomy to include the fact that I will experience severe pain for 2-3 weeks after the surgery. Do I somehow raise money for a minimally invasive surgery that I am led to believe costs about $20k with fusion? Is it too late to begin a regimen of Glucasomine? Drinking 8 glasses of water each day? Losing 20 pounds? I feel like I am being told what treatment I am going to receive rather than what I need to be healed.

I am lost. All I know is that I need to make expedient decisions so that I can care for my daughter. I have custody and that may be compromised with a Laminectomy. I am also terrified of the severe pain. How manly of me...