Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Pain and Headaches. Please Help

zrohmanzzrohman Posts: 2
edited 03/03/2015 - 8:05 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm really looking for people who might know what is wrong with me.

I'm 22 years old. If anyone could help me with this they could literally save my life, in the sense of making it so much better. I haven't been able to be pain free in years.

I started to wake up after 6 hours with a huge headache about 4 years ago. Ever since then I have had a constant headache. The headache is straight in the back of my head. Literally in the middle (between the bottom of my hair and top of my head).

The headaches continue throughout the day. It never stops.

The only thing that has consistently helped my headaches has been muscle relaxers.

Here is what I've tried:

1: I've had an MRI, Cat Scan, X Rays of my neck in several positions
2: I've had blood work done. (None of these tests came up with any big problems)
3: I have had injections in my neck to help with the pain, basically a nerve block in different parts with steroid injections in it. It did not help at all, if anything it irritated my head more from sticking a needle in.
4: I have went to physical therapy. He noticed several knots in my back. He focused on my knots and my right shoulder since it was raised above my left shoulder. We did several exercises. After 6 visits he said if it didn't make my headaches 50% better I should go try a pain management dr. The physical therapy did not help at all, and that's why I got the injections above.
5: I have tried new pillows, new sleeping positions, and even a new mattress. I'm a side sleeper, but no matter which way I sleep I have headaches that wake me up.
6: I tried three different chiropractors. The first chiropractor I tried gave me unlimited visits for $60 a month. His primary focus was my back. I visited him 3 times a week with no results. I tried a second chiropractor that was an upper cervical chiropractor. All she did was practically karate chop my neck one time and move one thing into place. She was charging me about $60 a visit and I saw no visible results after 4-5 visits.

Sometimes certain stretching or exercises would help but the help would be short lived.

Here's some more information that might help you determine possible things that are wrong:

1: I worked at Papa Johns when I was 16-19. The pain started shortly after I left. My main job at Papa Johns was slapping pizza dough. My head was constantly looking down and I was applying a bigtime pressure with my hands, which I'm sure came from my shoulders. When I left I started to feel some big pain WHILE stretching and slapping the pizza dough. The pain was on the top of my spine right before my neck. I even went back for one day to work at Papa Johns at the super bowl and had that same pain come towards the end of the day.

2: I had minor degenerative disc disease in my back in a couple places. I also have spinal bifida/spondylothesis in my very lower back. I think at one point they thought I had one and mistook it for the other.

3: I refereed for middle school for a year. After having a full game, my neck and upper spine would start to hurt after the running/physical activity.

I cannot stress enough, the only medication that helps is muscle relaxers. If I take them every day they are much less effective, but if I can stretch it out a few days they work great. But again. naproxen doesn't help. And I am 22 years old.... I want to be able to play basketball fully, no holding back and feel great, I want my life back!

The only other thing that just recently started helping was an over the door cervical traction kit.

I have the waterbag hang on the door and I stare at the door (not away from the door like many pictures have). It helped a ton and helped get rid of my headaches for about 3 days. I used it twice a day, 10 LBs in the waterbag.. Then I upped the weight about 4-5 pounds. It felt like it was almost triggering my headaches. And it stopped helping. I just recently started doing it again. But I'm looking for all the answers I can get as to what might be going on.

I'm thinking maybe some disc problem in my neck that somehow could be missed. Maybe that's why traction is the only thing that helped at all.

I'm skinny. 6 foot tall, 150 pound male.

Any help you could give me would help a ton,

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 03/03/2015 - 8:07 PM
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

*There is nobody on the forum medically qualified or permitted to give medical advice, all responses are based on members personal experiences only

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • ReadyforchangeRReadyforchange Posts: 90
    edited 03/03/2015 - 8:37 PM
    The only thing I can say is I can relate to the frustration. Perhaps try trigger point injections, alternative medicine, and never give up! There is something called an inversion table too. Also I use a tens machine.