Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Over the Door Neck Traction Devices

zrohmanzzrohman Posts: 2
edited 03/03/2015 - 8:05 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I just had a brief question about how these devices work.

I just bought one and it has been one of the few things that has helped with my headaches. As I said in another thread I just posted, I have tried injections, physical therapy, chiropractic work and absolutely nothing has phased my headaches.

The only thing that has helped is muscle relaxers and recently this neck traction.

I started off with 9 LB's of weight 2 times a day for 20 minutes. It helped a ton and felt great. I upped the weight to 14 pounds. Starting on the 4th day my headaches were slowly getting worse.

When I'm using the traction device I'm starring at the bag as I've seen so many people suggest. When I upped to 14 pounds it's as if it was triggering the part of my head that has given me headaches. Originally I thought it was a good thing because I was feeling the part of my neck stretch that was hurting. It wasn't so uncomfortable that I had to stop so I kept at that weight, however it wasn't helping.

So I took a muscle relaxer and took a break and the next day I lowered the weight back to 10.

I'm wanting some advice on the best way to use these. Honestly I'm willing to go through all the pain in the world if in the long run it separates my discs long term and makes my headaches better. But if I'm somehow damaging my neck and regressing my progress I definitely don't want to do that.

I just want advice on the best way to use this. I have the OTC one that is listed on amazon.

There is just a little bit of play on the part on the back of your head. I could move it ever so slightly up or down, move my chair a little closer to the bag or further away, I could add a ton of weight or keep it the same, or gradually move up.

Any advice?