Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I was on the old board now I'm on here!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
My name's Russ - I'm from Leeds in the UK. I've suffered from lower back pain/sciatica for years. Was diagnosed after MRI scan with DDD and a slight herniation somewhere in my lower back. I've so far managed 'conservative' treatment with various degrees of success. Surgeons over here seem very reluctant to operate! But now am considering having an op or at least an epidural injection. My back pain has got really disabling - I'm off work sick at moment find riding my motorbike difficult and even going to the pub is a major ordeal - I really need to get sorted. I'd like to hear the general consensus on spinal surgery.

• Welcome Russ. I think you can get a better idea on the "Back Surgery" forum. Tons of info there and a lot of members from UK.
  • Welcome back!! I had fusion to L4/5 in 2003. I struggled with back and leg paid for several years trying to avoid it.
    Did PT, ice, heat, injections. Had 1 Lamectomy in 1999 that failed and had to do a revision a week later. I didn't realize until after the fusion how much pain I was really in. Wish I had done it sooner. The leg pain was gone and has never returned. I do still have to baby my back or it gets sore. No repetitive bending at the waist or sitting for long periods.
  • Russ , it is great to have you here....thanks for coming... :)
  • :) i and welcome to the new forum! we are still here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry to hear you are having severe back pain. trying the conservative treatments is such the way to go before having surgery. i would think an epidural might work wonders for you. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum. Jenny :)
  • Thanks for the welcome!.....I had an epidural about 10 years ago - it hurt at the time and wasn't done under scan but I think it worked for a while, I've also had a facet joint injection. I'm hoping an epidural sorts me out to some extent - I'm in a lot of pain, can't sleep, find it hard to relax and can't settle on any medication [only Tramadol seems to work on the sciatica and I don't want to be addicted]. I'll trade the leg pain for a bit of stiffness now and again for sure....I'll see what the surgeon says. Watch this space!
  • Russ, glad you made it here.
    Best of luck with your surgeon and keep us posted..