Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Surgery for failed ACDF

Jimbo8JJimbo8 Posts: 27
edited 03/03/2015 - 12:22 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Went for a second opinion back to the surgeon who did my ACDF. He wants to do a posterior fusion now.

He says he will go in and put "pins" in C3-4-5 and then connect them all pulling the cadaver bones together so they will fuse.

Has anyone had this done before? I am going to have it done as I am desperate to rid myself on this pain.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• why go to the same guy who failed?
  • I failed to fuse so I'm not sure if I should call that a failed surgery.
    I went for a second opinion and they wanted to put me on a bone stimulator for three months first. From what I've read bone stimulator's don't do anything after six months and I am 10 months past surgery.

I do think my surgeon is a good doctor I just wish you would explain things better. I don't think it's his fault that I didn't fuse.

I would really like to know if anybody else is been through the surgery that he is proposing.
  • No one has had this surgery? Would like some input if you have.

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    I had ACDF c3/4 & it didn't fuse. I had to find a new doc because he didn't beleive me when I told him something still wasn't right. My new doc took X-ray & determined I didn't fuse. He ordered the bone growth stimulator for me. I had to wear it for 4 hours a day. It gave me horrible headaches. It didn't help at all with fusing my neck. So 9 months after my first surgery, I had my 2nd surgery. This time, the doctor went in through the back of neck. That was a much more painful surgery! I spent 3 days in hospital because they couldn't get my pain level down. Recovery was pretty rough. I had 12 staples in my neck. Let me know if you have anymore questions I can answer.
  • Jimbo8JJimbo8 Posts: 27
    edited 03/05/2015 - 11:59 PM
    Thank you for sharing Cathy.

Your story mimics mine! I had surgery 10 months ago. I went for another opinion and they wanted to do the bone stimulator too. My original surgeon told me that after 6 months they don't help much, so I opted for surgery.

He isn't going to replace the discs, but instead he is going to clamp the vertebrae together. Is that the same as you had?

I've read that the recovery is much for painful too. Not looking forward to that. I am worried that it won't take the pain away. I am in a pretty labor intensive job and worry about being able to continue. I have 5 more years till retirement.

Thanks for the help Cathy and if there is any more you can think of, I would love to hear it!

Have a great day.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    My surgeon just added more pins & screws to the first fusion. I didn't have much pain reduction after the surgeries. But my second surgeon told me that surgery isn't to get rid of pain. Surgery is to fix the problem. I also was in a pretty physical occupation. I am a certified nursing assistant. I would lift, transfer & carry patients, many of them were unable to support their own weight. That's how I got injured 2 years ago. I am still dealing with nerve pain in my neck & left shoulder & arm. I am seeing a pain doctor & on more meds than I care to take. I had to wear a soft collar for a couple months. It actually made me very claustrophobic but I got used to it. I can't even wear turtlenecks, but I realized that the collar helped a great deal to hold my head up! I ended up with 12 staples in the back of my neck. My husband had to clean & change the dressing daily. The most important thing I can tell you is to keep up with the pain meds when you get home! Don't let the pain get a head of you. Sorry, I don't mean to scare you. You may have a totally different experience with it? I really hope so!
  • Jimbo8JJimbo8 Posts: 27
    edited 03/07/2015 - 7:21 AM
    Thank you again for the reply.

I got my surgery date, April 1st. Haha. Seems fitting.

My biggest worry is that the pain will not get better. I've read so many stories on here where people didn't get relief. Not sure what I will do if it continues, I certainly don't think I can keep working at the same job.

I'm totally lost on how disability works, have contacted our HR office 3 times, and they won't even get back to me! Unreal. I'm going up there on Monday and jumping on someone's desk.

I hope you have a nice weekend.
  • disability can be a long process. make sure you apply as soon as possible though. they will give you back payments once you are approved calculating the payments you would have gotten if you were approved from the day you applied.

the worst part about disability is the recent process. im in it now, and i have no idea if they will reapprove. i am sill getting benefits though which is less scary.
  • Thank you for your reply.

If you could answer a couple questions for me, I sure would appreciate it.

If accepted, what percentage of your salary do they pay?

Is it taxable?

I am 5 years away from being eligible to retire, would I just get my normal retirement then?

How long does the beginning process usually take?

I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row incase this surgery doesn't fix me.

Thanks for taking the time to help out, have a nice weekend.