Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

20 years old - not sure if this is SI pain. Please help

I’ve been dealing with what I think is an anatomical problem for a while. I’ve seen a few doctors but they really have no solutions.

When I was in my late teen years (around 17-18), if I walked around a lot, my right leg would feel imbalanced and fatigued. I never really paid too much attention to this. Now, when I was 18, I had a pilonidal cystectomy. The recovery took a few months to recover from, and, because the surgery was near the left side of my tailbone, I was sitting more on my the right side of my butt than my left. About 9 to 10 months later, the surgery was done a second time due to the doctor messing up, and that lead to about 4 more months of me sitting more on the right side.

Ever since then, the feeling of imbalance on my entire right leg has become much more pronounced. I can’t walk around without feeling like there is a limp in my right leg, with the problem originating near the hip area. I say that because I feel tightness/stiffness near the area, but I also feel that on the top of my foot and the muscles around, and to the side of, my shin whenever I walk. In the middle of 2014, I was doing squats and I screwed up my lower back. After a few days I was fine but I had a persistent pain, on the right side where the SI joint is. I went to physical therapy for this (orthopedist recommended it), but the right SI joint pain never really went away. Then, in December of 2014, I jacked up my lower back again while I was putting on a shoe (balancing on my left leg while forcing shoe on the right). Dumb, I know. Since that incident, the entire span of my lower back has been stiff and causing pain, with the right SI joint pain worse than it was before.
’ve been stretching/strengthening to no avail. First time I messed up my back, the doctor had an MRI done and I herniated, slightly, L5/S1, but not much at all, and the doctor assured me that there’s Olympic athletes that have the same herniation in that disc.

I’m too young for this. My leg lengths are fine, doctor checked this, but I have many symptoms of "Short Leg Syndrome". I don’t have scoliosis, but I have symptoms of scoliosis as well (a perceived gait issue, aforementioned back issues). And, like I said, I’ve been doing all sorts of stretching but it hasn’t done anything. If anything, my back and hips crack and snap more than ever, now.

The only thing I can say is I think my right hip joint is “pushed in” more than my left, or sticking more out. When I walk my right leg feels MUCH closer to my body than my left. It does a slight inward swing whenever I step with it, and whenever I stand straight/neutral, my right foot is always tilted a bit to the right, whereas my left foot always points straight.
I know, you guys aren’t doctors but holy ****, it feels like I’ve been dealing with this forever. If anybody has any advice I’d appreciate it much.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery