Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

don't understand why can't stand up for a long time when it is neck problems

Please can someone help me as this is really worrying me. I have wear and tear at c6 and c7 and am having problems looking down as if I try to read a newspaper, book, office work , etc the longer I look down the more tingling, pain and spasms in neck and shoulders get worse. The most worrying thing though is that when I stand up I can't seem to relax my shoulders as it is painful and the longer I stand the more pain I am in and don't know if I am going mad but I feel it is affecting my balance although I am not dizzy or haven't fallen over. If I had surgery, would this get better? I don't understand why I can't stand for long as it is my neck not back, although saying that I am getting low back pain which I think is originating from neck problems. Is anyone else experiencing this? Also pain management have got me seeing physio who is pressing into muscles but this is not working as after looking down it all starts again. I think that my problems have gone beyond a bit of massage to do the trick but they are not listening to me. I have suffered for 18 months and am getting nowhere. This is the third lot of physio I have had with no improvement Please help Thankyou

• Have you seen a neurologist or had an MRI of your cervical spine? If not, you might want to have your Dr. check it out. You could have stenosis (narrowing) of the cervical spine which can cause radiculopathy (pain) or if the cord is compressed,(myelopathy) it could cause balance issues.
  • My MRI results are as follows :-
    But this was 15 months ago and they won't give me another one
    On the axial images at c5/6 there is a left lateral discophyte which touches the thecal sac and abuts it. It causes early neural impingement. At c6/7 there is a diffuse discophyte which causes bilateral foraminal narrowing worse on the left side. They seem to keep telling me this is normal wear and tear and I don't think they believe what I am experiencing. I think I need another MRI scan but they say no and no X-ray either. Don't know what to do. Thanks for help
  • I agree, 15 mos. is a long time ago. You should keep pushing to get another one done. Maybe see another Dr.?
  • Look up Lhermitte's sign, you sound pretty classical. Have they checked your reflexes or lower leg weakness? I agree with flowerlady, you can get lower leg weakness with cervical cord compression - both she and I experience it daily. I also agree I'd get a second opinion if needed...

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016