Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Howdies Y'all....new here

brucie76bbrucie76 Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Just figured out how to do this properly lol. My name is Jenniffer and i'm working on my 2nd spinal fusion in August. My story starts back in 1995 when I was in an accident with a semi, and even though it was a minor accident it put my back out of place. I had managed it for about 9 years with chiropractic care until the one day I must have pushed myself too far and I basically ended up with a broken back. I had 2 slipped vertebrae, a buldging disk, and the dr found I had DDD. We tried several differnt things (therapy, back brace, injection) before he decided surgery. December of 04 I had spinal fusion at L5-S1 along with decompression. I felt better for about a month, then ended up feeling worse than I did before surgery, and it hasnt stopped. I had been on disability since the dr said I couldn't work anymore, up until last October when I was told by my disability company I had to go to school to get trained for a different vocation (I had always worked in physical labor jobs). Once I started having to drive 45 minutes to school each way and sit in classes for 4 hours I started feeling even worse than before. When it got to the point where I couldn't even walk the one morning I went back to my dr who sent me for an mri and and EMG (I had also been complaining of numbness, tingling, burning, felt like bugs munchin on my legs for years). Turns out I have stenosis at L4-L5 and the nerves coming out between those vertebrae are pinched severly, and that I also have nerve damage and inflammation in my legs now. He suggested at first we do the shots, I said no. They had always made me feel worse and hurt alot more than before. I am now scheduled for a fusion (August 21) at L4-L5 and they will be taking out the screws that were put in at L5-S1. When we decided to do the surgery, he looked me right in the eye and told me flat out that I would be looking at these kinds of surgeries for the rest of my life, due to my disks wearing away. That is something hard for anyone to face, much less a single mom at the age of 32. I stumbled on this site actually looking for information on pregnancy after fusions. My desire is differnt than most that I read on here though. I myself do not want anymore children and I was looking for information to take to my dr to support my wanting certain parts being taken out. I was on the depo shot before and during my first surgery but was then taken off of it. Once my periods started coming back, so did the cramps. They were so debilitating, I would not be able to even walk for 2 days straight. I would like to get off the depo shot for good, just need to find a dr sympathetic enough to do the operation. Thanx for letting me rant, and I enjoy hearing from all of you! :D :D

• Jennifer and welcome to the forum. Wow , you have been through quite a lot but you will not be alone here. You will get so much support and understanding from the wonderful members here. If I can help you with anything at all then please just let me know. Btw , as a side note , I had the surgery but I had to have cancer before they would do it. So good luck to you finding a doc to help you. Take care....Miki
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. when i saw "Y'all" i had to stop by and say hi. i am a southern born girl myself and it is nice to see a little part of my birthplace. i am very sorry to hear you are due up for another surgery. please do your homework and always get that second opinion. why do you prefer surgery to a depo shot? i feel it is always better to keep all the parts we can and the shot is so easy. i am anxious to hear your point of view. please keep us posted as your progress towards your surgery. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum. Jenny :)
  • Jenny,

Being on the shot means remaining on hormones. I know that may not sound so bad, but there are side effects to it. I am not able to lose any weight while on the shot due to the hormones, and I know that losing weight would also help my back pain. I am also done having children. The cramps that I would have are unbearable. Killing two birds with one stone is how I am looking at it. If it weren't for the cramps part i'd consider just getting a tubal done. I've been in pain for so long now (about 13 years) that I would like to do what I can to prevent any more.
  • You sure have been thru alot hun~ I can relate to some of your story, I too had a very physical job was told I could not do that ever again so I was sent back to schooling. The drive to school was tough and sitting in classes for hours was very hard on me, so I had to drop out.

• Unfortunately for me, I'm not "allowed" to drop out. Should I do that I lose all my disability. I am however being trained for something I can do at home when I graduate, medical coding and transcription. Plus some of my classes are online classes, which makes it a bit easier on me. Can't complain too much. Most of it is being paid for by someone else lol!!!