Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to the site

melaniej626mmelaniej626 Posts: 1
edited 03/04/2015 - 8:47 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Good evening everyone. My name is Melanie and I am new to this site. My story is a crazy one but here goes. In February 2014 I was working as a Deputy Sheriff in a local jurisdiction and was working a crash where a car had went off the road and struck a mailbox. While on the scene of this accident I was sitting in my car finishing up the crash report waiting on a wrecker when a drunk driver hit me head. This accident has caused a fracture in my L4, severe neck pain caused by spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease. I dealt with the pain for months while Workmans Comp drug their feet on putting together a panel of orthos for me to choose from. The first panel they gave me had two doctors that I was told were horrible, so I opted not to see them. The 3rd doctor refused to see me. The second panel they put together had one doctor that was no longer practicing (don't ask me why they didn't have updated info) and two other doctors. I picked one of the doctors from that panel only to be told that the shoulder issues I was having at the time he could treat but that he could not treat my back. The third panel they gave me FINALLY proved effective. I got placed in the hand of the ortho that I am at now and he has been great. I have regular appts for him to check my reflexes and see how progressive my diagnosis is. He ordered aqua therapy for me in the beginning because they needed to at least try some form of therapy with me. It worked in the beginning as far as strengthening my arms because I was having a lot of numbness because of nerve damage. I was able to work on my grip and began dropping things less frequently. However, it did little to nothing for my lumbar. I was fine in the water but felt awful after I got out of the pool. It put too much of a strain on me. So therapy was discontinued after 5 visits. I have had 2 ESI's (epidural spinal injection) for my lumbar issues. The first one worked great. I got a few good weeks of pain relief from it. The second one that I had last month was a total bust. Within two days my left side of my back was locking up yet again in to my hip and numbness all the way down my left leg. The recommendation at this point is for me to undergo anterior cervical fusion and discectomy. The only thing I have left to do before this surgery is scheduled is to have the medical clearance for surgery conducted, which is scheduled for next Fri with my primary physician. This clearance will be sent in to work comp so that they will cover the surgery, which they have already advised my ortho that it is no doubt approved. I will then have to do the pre-anesthesia testing and then surgery will be whenever he has a date available. The time table he is looking at is by the end of this month or beginning of April. I am very nervous about this procedure but at this point I am willing to do anything. I have been through the ringer. I am a mother of 4 (ages 3-14) and I want to be an active mother again rather than being in pain and not being able to do things with my kids. I understand that even with the surgery that my activities may still be restricted because it's not a guarantee. But when a doctor looks you in the face and tells you that "this has gone too far, soon you will wake up and not be able to move" with how rapidly my left side is declining due to damage and compression. I would rather take my chances and have this done than run the risk of paralysis. I'm sure many of you have had this procedure. Any tips, suggestions, beneficial information, etc that you could give me would be appreciated.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    I live in Pennsylvania, so the laws here say I had to go to their panel of doctors, but after 90 days, I was allowed to go to what ever doctor I wanted to. Their doctors were horrible! They put me through the wringer! I had to endure countless injections even though none of them were in any way effective. What levels are you having fused? Be sure to read the "must haves" for tips on what to do before you have surgery. There are some great tips in there.