Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recent L5-S1 Discectomy - 26 years old

RandsRRands Posts: 2
edited 03/05/2015 - 8:57 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi Everyone!

I have been reading quite a few of these threads for a while, so I thought I would finally sugn up and contribute to the community.

I am 26 years old with a herniated L5-S1 lumbar disc which I sustained playing tennis.

Initially diagnosed as a hamstring tear (due to no back pain and searing lain down my left leg) it was left untreated for quite some time.

After a few hospital visits due to pain,, seeing a variety of neurosurgeons, and waiting for my disc to heal itself over the course of 7 months (it didn't) I recently decided to undergo a microdiscectomy for relief. This was undertaken 5 days ago. I was told it went well, but that there was also a crack in the disc with some leakage of fluid which they were not expecting.

After coming out of surgery, I immediatelty felt relief in my left leg but am in quite a bit of discomfort at the site of the inclusion.

Accordingly, I thought I wod ask everyone a few questions about their experiences (and I apologise if these have been asked before)

1) How long in your experience did it take for the surgery discomfort to resolve? Does the eradication of leg pain indicate a successful surgery, or can it return a few weeks out?

2) I have a 4 week sitting restriction (cannot sit for more than 15 mins at a time). Is this common?

3) Does anyone have experience with weaning off the medications and a rough timeframe for this? I have been on oxycontin 10mg sustained release 2xday since September last year. I am currently on Targin since the surgery and am very concerned about the withdrawals.

4) When has everyone recommence exercise and sport? Before my injury I would swim, play tennis and do light weighfs and cardio at the gym. I am keen to get fit again but will discuss with my neurosurgeon. Just wanted to get a feel for everyone's experience in this regard.

Thanks everyone, and nice to "meet" you all :)

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I had l5s1 fusion with rods 3 months ago and have no sciatic pain at all. I do have stiffness in the low back and have a tough time sitting for long periods. I'm back to work full time and need to get up and walk a lot. Main problem now is energy. Not quite there yet and tire easy. I was only on oxycontin for about three months prior and right after surgery and had horrible withdrawal for about two weeks. I probably should have weaned off, but I just stopped on my own BC I was afraid of getting addicted. It was bad, but I survived. For exercise I love walking in a warm lap pool. Good luck!