Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal cord stimulator

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
I need to make a decision about trying the Boston Scientific spinal cord stimulator. I have arachnoiditis; have ray fusion cages at L4&L5 and have screws and rods from L4 to S1. Constant lower back and left leg pain. On lots of meds and need a break! Anyone using the SCS? What questions should I ask my doctor before trying it?

• and welcome to the forum. My very dear friend just had a SCS put in and she is doing wonderfully...anyway , they put in a trial SCS first , so that would give you an idea of what it will be like. Other than that , I am not sure what questions you should ask...I wish you luck though in making your decision.Please keep us posted as to how you are doing and what you end up deciding on. Take care....Miki
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i don't have a stimulator, i just wanted to welcome you. i am sure someone will come along as there are quite a few members with them. i am so sorry you are having severe pain. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • I have had my scs for about three months and I'm SO glad that I have it! While it helps my leg pain tremendously, it doesn't take care of my back pain as much. Still very worth it to me because I am able to do more now than I was able to do before. A lot more! I had got to the point where most of my time was spent either in my bed or on the couch in a huge amount of pain, but now I get up and around and do some chores around the house that I haven't been able to do in the last six years.

I think a good question to ask your doctor is if the kind and of pain you're feeling will respond well to the stimulator. Another thing you might ask is if there is a patient of his/hers that he has implanted with one that you could maybe talk to. I have told my doctor that I would be willing to talk to any of his patients that would like to ask questions and have actually made a few new friends in the process! I don't know if it matters to you or not, but you might ask what total out-of-pocket cost you will incur. Aside from the office visit costs, my final bill for the trial through the perm implant was around $960.00

Good luck!
  • Hi Terrie,

It's comforting to hear that you are getting so much relief from the scs. What is causing your back pain? Are you able to stop any meds since you have been on the scs? Are they all the same, does the brand make a difference? I do need to talk to my insurance company and see if they will pay any of it at all! Thanks for the good advice to ask my doctor for the names of people that I can talk to about it.

I appreciate the warm welcome!
  • Jenny, Thanks for the good wishes! I'm amazed to see the different health problems everyone has and what they are doing about it. I've spent some time just "lurking" and it makes me feel like I belong here. People that are not suffering from chronic pain have no idea.
  • Miki,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. So far, it seems that what I have heard about the scs indicates that it works pretty well. I'm going to find someone in my area that I can talk to. Just wonder what will happen long term. Guess I had better get relief now and not be too concerned about later.

It looks like you've had recent procedures. How are you doing?
  • Hello, I had the SCS put in several weeks ago. It does help, I just think it really depends on where your pain is, as to how much it will help you. That's why they do the trial, I'd go ahead with the trial....that's really the only way you'll know.

Good Luck
  • are most welcome. I think it is a great idea to do some research about docs in your area that do the SCS. Let us all know how it all turns up. I am doing alright , can't really complain....I just have more tests to do to see what the problem is and how to fix it....but it will be fine.. No worries. You take care dear....Miki
  • I had a couple of herniated discs and a couple of bulging discs that has caused me all kinds of ruckus! I'm not sure about which brand of implant is better. My doctor suggested I have the Boston Scientific and that's what I got. I haven't decreased meds at this time, but hope to. I do have improvement in pain coverage with the scs though. I'm able to do many more things with the stimulator than before I had it. I wasn't able to take care of my home any more. I'm back to doing the majority of again, unless I'm having a bad day... they happen!

The total cost of the implant from trial to perm was around $60,000.00! Whew! That's a lot of donuts! Good luck with your implant!
  • I see that your lower back looks very similar to mine. I read about your surgeries and you've been through it all! Glad the SCS is working for you. What meds are you taking? I'm on neurontin, opana, and voltaren with occasional vicodin. It's getting to the point that none of that is working very well.