Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal fusion and BMI

Lachlan KeirLLachlan Keir Posts: 1
edited 03/07/2015 - 7:57 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi everyone,

I had a major spinal fusion surgery six years ago and have recovered quite well, especially when I remember to exercise it :) I've joined these forums to ask a question that's always been bugging me and that I've never remembered to ask my doctors about; how much does a spinal fusion actually weigh? See, I'm applying for a job that has a maximum BMI requirement, and I'm worried that the weight of the surgical titanium in my spine might push me into a higher category than my actual body fat would indicate.

So how heavy is a spinal fusion, and should I briefly explain that the weight of the spinal fusion shouldn't be counted towards my body weight for BMI purposes in my job application?

(P.S.: I know that the BMI is not an accurate measure of how healthy your weight is even when you don't have surgical metal in your spine, so please don't tell me about that. I didn't choose to use BMI).

• BMI are not specifically based on how much you weigh, more so the body fat measurements are taken based on how much you weigh as well as typically how large your neck is and how large your waist is. When I went to join the army and had a BMI test done that is the manner in which they measured me.
    • Degenerative Disc Disease
    • Disc Bulge L2-L3, L4-L5
    • Disc Herniation L5-S1
    • Facet Arthrosis
    • Laminectomy L1-S1 02/18/15
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I have to agree with PaulMt and for what it is worth that titanium you have implanted in you won't make a bit of difference. I have huge amounts of titanium in several parts of my body and if I totaled it all up it would amount to a few ounces much less than 1/2 pound.