Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My discetomy recovery story

Almost 6month ago I had discetomy on l5/S1 after I hurt myself in bikram Yoga. I m 36y old mother of 3 small kids and former professional ballet dancer etc. My recovery was a long and frustrating...1st couple month ago I felt kind normal again. Don't dont get me wrong I avoid sitting as much as i can and also I dont drive much. But I m pain free and back to the gym..

It had been most horrible and frustrating ever this whole experience and I was surprised how long the recovery was..THe recovery has nothing to do with your physical condition..It all the depends of how large your her nation is and ho much nerve damage etc. I had a huge herniation 16mm and was in a huge pain before my surgery and took pain killers every 4th hour also at nights. Ok i wanted normal thanks god but could absolute not sit.

It took 2 moths before i could do grosecy, and no way i d have been back at any work before 4th mark if it was sitting work.
Ok i m not working at any office so i was lucky.
I was constantly thinking in 1st 4moths after my operation that i reherniated..so it was a circle..nerve pain was there but then i realized more i did better i felt..Ok i dont mean sitting, because do be honest avoid it as much as you can. It put extra pressure at your spine and ll slow down recovery..

Anyways what I want to say you all is that hung in there it ll get better and i was sure after 3moths of my surgery that I had reherniated again and d need a new surgery but no iIm not,...I m doing really well now.

Did i do physical training? No because many moths i had still nerve pain down in my leg and I did not want to push myself. and honesty as I m former professional ballet dancer I know my body and movement I can do.
Ok i d recommend you may do it but not too early...

Also what comes to pain killers i did not take any after i got home from hospital for 1st moth but then i took some tylanol as some days i had pain here and there..Now i have not taken any for some moths.
Ok maybe if i d have taken pain killers I d have not have been thinking that i reherniated every other day so I m not agains taking them..

I just wanted to write this to everybody who just had discetomy that it takes moths and moths not weeks to be well and normal..So hung in there and dont lost your hope
Am i still normal? almost but i m not doing splits or acrobat at the moment to sure i ever will but at least I m pain free and can do normal things ( even took a flight for 3hours already 3 times) ok I avoid sitting and can go to gym and doing some exercise is a huge thing to me who always trained and was bed ridden prior my surgery and after....
36y old female, s1-L5 micro discetomy 18th of September 2014