Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI wait times and costs

klmcln123kklmcln123 Posts: 2
edited 03/08/2015 - 4:21 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
What have people experienced in terms of wait times for MRIs? And what are the general costs where you live?

I have numbness on my left side - especially my leg, and a tingling - often painful to the touch sensation on my skin on my torso - from my hip up to the middle of my back. I live in Canada and there is a website that lists the wait times for MRIs for the hospitals in this area and it ranges from 2-4 months but my doctor says 3-6 months is more realistic. I have decided to pay for a private MRI and the wait time is 2-7 days. I expect to get an appointment next week.

I don't have a neurologist (my family doctor has referred me to one, but he said to expect to wait 3 weeks at least to get an appointment), so my family doctor filled out the MRI form for me for the private MRI clinic. He is doing the upper spine, as I have tenderness and stiffness there, but I am worried that it could be a different part of my spine affected, and it might be a waste of time and money to get just the upper spine done - but that seems to be the best that can be done for now until I see a neurologist.

What are MRI wait times like for other people? This two tiered health care system in Canada is starting to emerge with more private clinics for things like MRIs where people can pay for them. It isn't ideal, as I certainly would love to be getting this MRI for free, but the wait time is just too much for me. I am very fortunate that I feel like I can pay for the service, but there are many people that can't and who have to wait for months.