Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

19 year old athlete in a lot of pain, previous herniated S1 L5 disc

My 19 year old daughter plays College D2 Lacrosse . She has always been athletic and done well at sports. When she was a High School senior she herniated her S1 L5 as a setter for her volleyball team. The Docs all said after time she will be fine.

BS I say She recently received cortisone injections. Two treatments over a months time, didn't do anything to help with the pain. She gets a ton of exercise(if you ever knew what college athletes had to endure you would agree that she gets enough exercise!
The only answer I get is if the injections don't work that she will have to get this area fused. NO way I say!

What really concerns her is seeing what I have endured due to all my back pain. I was also very athletic up to age 43, playing Basketball 3-5 x week and golf a few times a week plus I loved to run. My back is severely degenerated and after attempting every conservative treatment over 8 years I finally went to Barcelona to get a three level artificial disc replacement. Everything was good and my pain was almost gone but then it all came back on the 6th month it all came back. Recently I had a Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted to help with the pain. BTW , 13 others like me had this surgery in the week while I was in Spain and I was the only one not to have 100% success. Very disappointing. My daughter is so worried that she will end up like me.

Is there anyone out there in the same condition or know of anyone with the same symptoms to have done something to help with the pain for a young adult such as her who still would like to play two more years of lacrosse. I am seriously thinking of telling her that it may be time to stop playing. I hear that her situation won't get worse but I don't know who to believe anymore. SO many spine centers only care about the money and profit and fail to remember that she is still just a child,
Thank you in advance for any help or guidance.

• jmbeamjjmbeam Posts: 8
    edited 03/08/2015 - 1:19 PM
    I forgot to mention that she does not have any leg pain or any shooting pain down her legs. The pain she has is a horrible dull aching pain in her lower back. This was and still is the same pain I still have except my daughter does not have any DDD.
  • FritzcrackerzFFritzcrackerz Posts: 246
    edited 03/08/2015 - 3:30 PM
    That after six months after a fusion you can take up contact sports again.
    L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.