Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hernia L4-L5

I am 49 years old, in 5 month will be 50!!!!

I do (did) quite a lot of exercise, beach voley ball even though I am 1,73com, i play with the neigbords young people almost every day, swing 2,500 every 2 days, run 8k twice a week. Did a couple sprint triatlon. I ride mountain from time to time.

In dec 2014, going down to the beach something stroke in my back and I could not walk! I had to lay down at the sand and tried to keep up with my breathings, meanwhile all the kids were making fun of the grandpa ;-)
Something was very wrong with my back, i warmed up very well and I was able to play a couple games.

When the back got cold, i was in a strange position I could not straight up, and i was bend. I went to the doctor and told me that most probably was an Hernia :-( did a MRI (will post picture in a while) and YES i found out that I have a beautiful Hernia L4 or L5 not sure.

At the begining did not hurt much but...

I have to go now, later i continue!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Ernesto martinEErnesto martin Posts: 14
    edited 03/10/2015 - 11:36 AM
    My treatment started the 15/01/2015
    Corticoides + cloridrato de tramadol 100grms + alginac + 10 sessions of fisioterapia ( infrared, ultrasound+ eelctrods + ice)
    Everything went smoothly I Was feeling like a champion and ready to go.
    I started to do some estrechings and every day i was feeling better.
    at the begining of february i ask permission for a bicicle ride with my son. (TERRIBLE ERROR) they told me 20 or 30 minutes.... I stayed 2,5 hours it did not hurt!
    I screw up every thing, i went to the doctor again and i have to start from point 0
    And now I am in real pain. I am going to try with all my efforts not to operate. Even though the doctor already told me that maybe we should be thinking in surgery.
    No way!!! My mon twice and my father 3 times they received surgery and they r not ok
    next friday i have thw third meeting with the doxtor. Kind of scare.
    my right leg seems is not mineu, hurts, munb, it radiets up to the toos. Every time i drive is soo painfull.
    i am going to try to put a picture of the hernia & keep you inform. NO WAY TO OPERATION
  • Today i am feeling like a champion, I sleep quite well and there is very little, almost nothing of pain or disconfort.
    I am very happy and I am very surprise, keep doing strange movements to see if it hurts.
    I think the drugs are doing a fine job!
    Now lets wait for friday to see if the doctor lets me start with some exercises. I am dying to start doing some estreching :-) and light runs!
    I am all the way forward!!! NO WAY FOR SURGERY!
    All the best!
  • Ernesto martinEErnesto martin Posts: 14
    edited 03/23/2015 - 11:00 AM
    Today I am not happy at all :-(
    Last wensday I went to the doctor (traumatologist) and told me that the 2,5 cm. Hernia was better if we operate it, which I do not want!!! ( my father went through 3 operations and my mon 2 and none of them are well)
    My left leg is killing me and worst my butt, i can not find a position for sleeping and brings me down the idea of doing all this efforts against pain in vain! Maybe he is right and I need take off my ugly hernia.
    xxxx me off also the idea that I screw up my recovery myself :-(
    At the beginning january 2015 my recovery was going perfect and i asked for some time too ride a mountainbike with my kid, they gave me 20-30 min. i went out and stayed 2,5 hours (what and idiot) I was feeling soo well, it did not bother or hurt soo i push a little longer. I screw up every thing :-( i had to start all over again & is not beeing the same, it hurts more and I do not know if is going to heal.
    The doctor told me that the hernia might be bigger now after the bicicle :-(
    All the best for all of you.
  • This is being a night mare, yesterday I hardly sleep 30 minutes straight! Soo much pain in my peirformis :-(
    I had stop taking drugs but yesterday I took every thing I found, mouth full :-( it might be because I increase my level of exercices and maybe that little muscle in my butt is upset & ungry at me.
    Yesterday I sent the results of my RM (14/01/2015) to my sister, she will send it to a neurocirugist, I am not forward with operation BUT if this pain continuos like that... I want knife right away.
    Not a good night for me...
    All the best for all of you.
    Ps. I also started the Mackenzi exercises but only more pain
  • Finally we will go the operation! It has been three months and basically I am at the same point of departure!!!
    A very good doctor neurocirugian and family friend, has recommended a micro cirgury. Rapid recovery, no stiches, claws or fixations.
    I will try to get down with it before the end of april.
    Best of all for all of you Warriors!
    Ps. Lots of posts had help me a lot, and also make me see how lucky I am. Thank you.
    I will 1 or 2 more posts to let you know how was the operation and recovery ;-)
  • Very much looking forward to hearing about your journey! Keep us updated. :)
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    .....are feeling more comfortable with the idea and arrangements for surgery.
    And reading what you said above when you had a good day and moved about to test and still felt well.
    Sometimes for me...I like to keep in part of my mind memory of the pain so as not to over do it and the pain return full force.

I would think most of us , but to speak for myself.....in taking my pain medication regularly, ther is still some pain...never completely pain free. On the rare times pain worse to where I take breakthrough ....the extra prescribed pain med...it still does not remove pain completely.

That really works for me also. The pain is manageable but there is enough there to remind me of my limitations.

You might want to double check with your doctor for even though you had surgery...
    are there any activities you need to be careful with ?
    Best of luck to you and let us know how you are doing! Take care
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• thank you very much for your posts, I enjoy Reading them and i think about them!
    pain! what a terrible thing, and for me I think is peanuts compare to other people, I see for example "savage" 700 posts and from 2011 you are very corageous! dealing with pain. I get all crumpy and do not smiley i am hungry and in bad mood. I know is not fair with the rest of the team (family) but when your leg is NOT YOURS, is hard to even walk, and the pills hardly help.
    I think we should be allow to be a Little piss off for a while.
    my insurance does not cover operations abroad, soo i am trying to figure out how to fly to Spain and get the funds, i need to stay 3 days at the hospital.
    very very very important Savage that i do my homework and ask the doc. what to do and what not to do. if you read my posts you know that i screw up big time for riding my bike. I really hope he does not take away my mountainbike if he does..... most probably i will need to go into more cirugies ;-)
    mountain... my mental date will be more or less same as yours, late april...
    ps. all the best for you all :-)