Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

shoes + heels

Hey all!

A few questions about shoes! ( Recovering from L5S1 Discectomy, still having a lot of nerve issues and back pain)

1. I am a bridesmaid in a few months what are your thoughts on wearing heels for a while?

2. I have numbness in feet and calf and since surgery have been living in comfy slip ons. Any shoes I own irritate the numbness - can anyone suggest any types of shoes?

I'll ask my Physio next time I have an appointment but any opinions or experience s would be helpful!

Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• I'm 3 months post op l5s1 fusion and wonder if I'll ever wear heels again. Have a closet full but haven't tried yet. Wore a small heel wedge one day and felt awful. Good luck!
  • I'd discuss with your doctor.
    My experience
    1) Heels - less stable and increases chance of fall or stumble. So if just for small walk up/down the aisle and for reception intro's - probably okay but would have a pair of flats to switch to
    2) Heels - I'm 5 years out of my 2nd surgery. If I wear heels (and I'm not talking very high ones) for a day, I get severe foot/leg cramps b/c it aggravates my back. As such, I only wear them when I don't have a lot of walking to do.
    3) Nerve Damage? I have nerve damage in my left foot and as such....the first year was VERY risky for me to wear heels b/c I could not really feel my foot to 'plant' it when my left food hit the ground so had to walk very slow and deliberately.

Good luck and have fun at the wedding!
  • nutmegxoxoxonnutmegxoxoxo Posts: 14
    edited 03/15/2015 - 11:05 AM
    Hi there! I'm also recovering from a microdiscectomy (L4-L5). Honestly, I'd recommend against heels even for a short period of time. Steve Madden makes some really cute and reasonably priced flats. Wait until you're sure you're ready for heels -- you want to be comfortable, safe, and still able to dance late into the evening!
  • RunnerNJRRunnerNJ Posts: 3
    edited 03/22/2015 - 2:27 PM
    I would talk to your doctor about it. I also have issues with nerve pain and numbness, and I'm recovering from surgery 3 weeks ago.

I loved my Tieks prior to the car accident that started my issues but since the nerve pain they are my go to shoes and became a reason to add to my collection, haha. They are cute and comfortable designer flats, and they have tons of colors and styles. The patent are my favorite and the quality is top. These are the shoes I plan to wear to the two upcoming weddings I will be attending!

• Hi! I'm about 7 months post Microdiscectomy L5S1, I have tried wearing heels a few times since the op and it's never been worth the pain after. Also the fear that come with the pain (re-herniation?!). I hope you have better luck!
    Ayesha
  • I was told to ditch the heels and flip flops permanently as they will do nothing but stress the back(all my issues are L4 and down) I tried wearing them once after my last surgery for a wedding and ended up borrowing someone else's flats thirty minutes in, and they were kitten heels. I have not given up, they sit in my closet mocking me when I am getting dressed and I have the perfect pair to match, but the pain is so not worth the cute heels. Fortunately, there are lots of cute flats and sandals that have straps behind the heel out there now, many with really great support too.
advertisement