Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Independent Medical Exam

I just had an independent medical exam for worker's comp. a few weeks ago and have not yet heard about the results. The dr. did a very thorough exam that last about an hour. He said that I needed surgery at least on my C5-C7 and if he was the surgeon he would make the fusion up to to C4 and down to T1. He stated over and over how bad my neck was and that i had nerve damage, muscle atrophy and hand weakness. I am not sure if that is common practice for an IME dr. because they do not treat the patient and most likely on the side of the workers comp. company. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the doctors saying the patient needs surgery and then reporting something totally different to the workers comp company. I had a witness and the exam so hopefully that will help negate any problems. I just wish they would hurry and approve my surgery, so that I can get back to working and living life. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to listen.

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,806
    edited 03/12/2015 - 10:11 AM
    I think that's a good sign as far as WC goes
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    I had an independent medical exam also. I got injured at work & after my 90 days were up, I was allowed to see my own doctors. My surgeon determined I had herniated c4/5 & he recommended a fusion. I had a second opinion & same recommendation. Work comp wanted me to go to an independent medical exam. Well, that doctor agreed with my surgeon. 9 months later, After fusion surgery, i was still having worse symptoms, so my surgeon took more X-rays & determined that my neck didn't fuse, so he once again recommended more fusion surgery. Once again, work comp sent me for an IME, and once again, that doctor agreed with my surgeon. I was very nervous going to those exams. My attorney advised me to be very nice & answer all their questions truthfully. It was a relief when they agreed with my surgeons. I don't recall having to wait very long for work comp to approve my surgery? I hope you get answers soon!
  • I have to agree itsautonomic it sounded as if he agreed with everything my surgeon had suggested, but I have heard many horror stories and it worries me. I have to say that I was nervous for the exam also. Even though I know my pain and what symptoms I have dealt with for the last 6 months since injuring myself it still made me nervous. I am sorry that you had to have a second surgery because of a failed fusion, but at least workers comp worked with you and approved the surgery. It has been over a week now, but the doctor was out of his office last week so as soon as I hear something I will update. As I said before thank you all for taking the time to listen and respond