Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

finally decided on surgery, question on recovery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I finally decided on the laminectomy and had it done July 3rd. I am 3 days PO, and am having pain in my left leg like I had before as well as expected discomfort in the incision area. Has anyone else here had a laminectomy and if so, what was your recovery timeline like? I have had two previous microdiscectomies, so there was a lot of scar tissue involved. I'm hopeful that the leg pain will eventually go away.

• Hi Slat,
    well I wouldn't be concerned yet as it is very early days.
    You are probably still feeling the effects of the surgery itself.
    I had a laminectomy 7 yrs ago but it was a very bad (not normal) experience. I wasn't able to sit at all for 4 weeks as it was far too painful :O . Mine was not a normal recovery by any means so dont take it on board. I know that there are members who have had fusions and been back to near normal living very quickly so we really cant compare- though I know that is hard.

Blessings and wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Sara :D
  • Hi,
    I had a Laminectomy/discectomy at L3/4 level and I am still very much in recovery mode. I have a difficult time sitting for longer than 30min at a time.
    I walk on the tread mill 10min at a time several times a day. Each morning I wake up thinking this will be the day that I feel 75% better.
    I still have the wierd leg pain at times but I hear that this is not unusual and can last for months.
    we are all different and heal on our individual time frame.
    I am having still having some swelling at the incision that I have to wear a brace for to keep the area compressed. I think it is called a sernoma.
    I do wish you the best of luck. I am so ready to get over this!
  • Hi i had the laminectomy/discectomy at my L4/5n june 25th..

I am doing a lot better now. Altho my pain was gone out of my leg, i still get numbness in my foot. It isnt the same numbness i had pre-surgery (pins and needles) but it feels funky..

I had a double laminectomy because my herniation was so big. My doctor said if he only did one side it wouldnt be enough room for the swelling that would occur and it would give me leg pains and he wanted to go in from both sides to make sure he got the herniation all cleared out.. So perhaps its the swelling that is causing your leg pains?

My only trouble is back pains when i move funny. They can be excruciating. But my back is healing and that should go away when my back heals in a few weeks from the surgery itself.