Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica Surgery?

Let me begin by saying I am 69 years old and have had chronic pain in my back for 30 years. I wont list all that is wrong only to say I have everything wrong with my back that there is. I also have Fibromyalgia and severe arthritis.

I had a cervical fusion on 09/26/2009 that didn't go well. I still have a lot of residual problems from it.

Now to my sciatic. In July of 2014 I turned around to reach for something in the back seat of the car. Instantly I had a stabbing pain in my left sciatic nerve area. It was so painful I couldn't walk without a cane. I went to 5 different doctors and they all had different opionions of what was wrong.

I was in so much pain that I stopped at my former Chiropactor crying. He did a manipulation on my back. The results were awful. I couldn't get out of bed, couldn't stand up long enough to cook a meal. I existed on frozen entrees. (Ugh)

After going to the ER 4 times for shots of cortisone and Torodol. I finally went to an Orthopaedic Suergon who did a MRI and looked at my other records. He told me that a disk was pressing on my sciatic nerve. I had 2 choices. Have surgery to remove the part of my disk that was pressing on my nerve, or learn to live with. I was scheduled for surgery on Feb. 18 that was cancelled because at my pre-op check I had a slight fever. I was told that my PCP would have to release for surgery. She told me that she wouldn't release me for surgery until she found out what was causing the fever. I had blood tests and a nasal swab done. The blood test came back OK, but the lab screwed up my swab and I had to have another one done. All of this took several weeks.

During this time all I did was sit on an ice pack constantly and slept with one on my back, walk from the bathroom, also, let my 2 dogs outside, Since we were havinf sub zero temps, I didn't leave them outside more than a few minutes, which meant they had to go out constantly. I did laundry by walking up and down stairs. Sometimes I had to crawl up the stairs.

Then somehow I woke up one morning I was able to get out of bed and stood up with NO pain. I don't know what happened, but so far I haven't had any pain. Thank God The tests that delayed my surgery or I would be in a world of pain and facing months of rehab.

I still have back pain but it is from the other problems I have with my back andI am seeing my Orthapeadic doctor Monday which I think, be an interesting visit. I take Aleve or arthrits strength Tylenol. They don't take the pain away, just take the edge off. I am very careful not to twist my back, bend over, or life heavy objects . I still use my ice packs and they help. For some reason a heating pad makes the pain worse.

So that is my sciatic story. Now to see if I am able to get some relief from my other back problems.