Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated and Pinched Cervical Disc

precious007pprecious007 Posts: 7
edited 03/15/2015 - 8:15 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hi - I am new to the forums and pretty new to spine related issues, I have been getting numerous diagnosis over the years but since November this year things got progressively worse to the point where I can barely sit because of the pain in my spine that is radiating to my shoulders, head, arms (my arms also get numb in certain positions) I also have fatigue, dizziness, muscle twitching, muscle burning, jaw and face pain, loss of balance, some of confusion on daily basis and many of the symptoms associated with fibromyalgia.

Yesterday I have had an xray done (MRI is coming up of both cervical and thoracic regions) and the xray says I have herniated and pinched intervertebral disc c5-c6 in my cervical region and scoliosis (it does not mention how severe my scoliosis is).

I am confused about these terms - does a pinched nerve necessarily mean that the disc is herniated?

I've read on Mayo the description for herniated disk - A herniated disk refers to a problem with one of the rubbery cushions (disks) between the individual bones (vertebrae) that stack up to make your spine.

A spinal disk is a little like a jelly donut, with a softer center encased within a tougher exterior. Sometimes called a slipped disk or a ruptured disk, a herniated disk occurs when some of the softer "jelly" pushes out through a crack in the tougher exterior.

A herniated disk can irritate nearby nerves and result in pain, numbness or weakness in an arm or leg. On the other hand, many people experience no symptoms from a herniated disk. Most people who have a herniated disk don't need surgery to correct the problem.

I have severe depression because of this issue, it has never been so bad, the pain is excruciating, my head burns all the time, I walk like a drunk person, my upper spine burns especially with sitting, resting seems to be better and walking too.

I want to ask the more experience members that know about cervical disc herniation (I know I can not get a definitive answer since there is no doctor here) but is this really serious, I mean I've read that surgery is needed? Does anyone believe I would need a surgery? I cannot stand the pain any more, it get to the point where I cannot speak because of it.

Thanks in advance.