Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Opana vs. Oxycontin

slsssls Posts: 3
edited 03/15/2015 - 8:05 AM in Chronic Pain
I have chronic pain from back surgery in 2002. , resulting in Post Lamenecty Pheripheral Nueropathy. For 11 years, I was on 12-hour Oxycontin 40 Mg and 15 Mg IR Oxycodone for breakthrough pain, 120 each per month 4 x daily. It worked fine. I was able to keep working full-time and still have energy for errands after work, cook dinner and keep my house clean. Then two years ago, my insurance company removed OC from their formulary list and my Pain Management doctor switched me to Opana ER 30 mg and Oxymorphone IR for BT, 120 each month 4 x day. Opana is supposed to be double the strength of OC. IT ISN'T! And it only lasts 5-6 hours, certainly not 12. IT MAKES ME EXTREMELY TIRED AND ALL I WANT TO DO IS SLEEP ALL THE TIME, except at night ...I wake up every hour or so. To make matters worse, the government stepped in last year and put restrictions on prescribed quantities for Opana. Subsequently, my pain doctor cut me to 90 Opana ER at 3 x day. IT IS NOT WORKING FOR ME. In order to get the quantity increased, he told me I would have to go to the U of Florida and meet with a Pain Mgmt Psychiatrist, who would then supposedly write a letter to the doctor to keep in my file which would allow him to write the Rx for 120 Opana ER per mo. just to appease the government. Have you ever heard of anything so ridiculous? I am a 70-year old woman with life-time chronic pain and they make me "jump through hoops" like this just to get my medication that I don't even like and that isn't even keeping me out of pain and costs me an arm and a leg?
Several months ago, I asked the nurse practitioner that I see every month (haven't seen doctor in 2-3 years) to contact my insurance company to try and get a "medication exception" for OC because it was so much better for me. and didn't make me sleepy. She said she called but was on hold too long and hung up...she didn't have the time to waste. I have been a patient there for 13 years, spent lots of money and that's what I get? I would change doctors but it's almost impossible in Florida to find one that will give opiates. They want to try implants for pain or some other ridiculous method of treatment. I think at this point, I will apply for the med exception myself and hope for the best. The OC actually worked and I wasn't tired all the time. All I really wanted to say is that OC is much more effective than Opana and it certainly is not twice as strong as OC.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Opana makes me too tired too. Did you like the OxyContin more? Why did you stop taking it?
  • IHdocIIHdoc Posts: 10
    edited 01/20/2016 - 10:50 AM
    [edit] To me, Opana is not all that effective .i had to take 5 to get to a 8 on the scale and be back to mobile again recently talked doc

Into different he's a pain to get meds changed I'm on oxy fyntynal soma tizanadine and mobic but only

Fynt is a regular the rest are for back bad days weather etc
    “I am aware that I am less than some people prefer me to be, but most people are unaware that I am so much more than what they see.”
    ―douglas pagels