Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scared

onelegger51oonelegger51 Posts: 2
edited 03/15/2015 - 8:44 PM in Chronic Pain
I am an amputee on the left side below the knee so I have over used my other leg to the point I was having awful pain. I have been going to a Pain Clinic for 10 years plus, and the doctors finally sent me for a MRI which revealed I have Spinal Stenosis and a pinched nerve at L5-S1. I have been taking pain medications for years, but I don't get any relief. They have scheduled me to have a Nerve Block this coming Friday.

I am totally scared. I live alone with my Shi Tzu, and I am afraid after I have this done, I won't be able to take care of her. He told me also that afterwards my leg may feel "funny" for a few days. What does that mean? Has anyone gone through this, and does it hurt very bad. I am at the verge of calling it off, but I need for this pain to be eased. How bad is this going to be. How long will it last. Will it be really painful?

onelegger
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,910
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 03/16/2015 - 4:37 PM
    I know that these procedures can be really frightening...or so I've heard! 9 years ago when this all started for me I was the most apathetic spine patient ever. I've got 101 reasons/excuses for this but basically I just followed orders! I didn't even properly read the bits of paper they gave me before procedures! I NEVER reached anything on the computer. I wasn't even sure what they were doing to me. To be honest it's not until I got my medical records a few years ago that I could tell you what they had done to me. Ignorance can be bliss.
    I went to a clinic that completely knocked me out for every procedure. I really thought it was no big deal. My pain flared a bit for maybe. Week after but I took care of a baby & toddler. It was bloody hard but not much harder than it was before.

I've since learnt that some can cause more pain than others but I've never been incapable of hobbling around in pain to take care of my cats (or kids!) not very well but I've been capable of functioning.

I ice straight after any procedure. I take those kids lunch box ice blocks that stay cold for a really long time with me & ice all the way home & for days after. It really helps me avoid a lot of the pain flare.

Best of luck! I hope you get great results....don't be impatient & think it hasn't worked because it can hurt more before it hurts less in my experience.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.