Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New pain and more severe pain after surgery

thebugladytthebuglady Posts: 1
On December 22, 2014, I had a microdisectamy for a far lateral herniation at L4-L5. After surgery, surprisingly, my back pain was almost immediately gone. However, I still had a minor amount of sciatic pain through my buttocks and down my right leg. I attributed this to swelling and figured it would go away. About a week and a half after surgery, I developed an infection in my insicion and was put on antibiotics. The first round of antibiotics didn't work, so the put me on a second round, and that did seem to work.

After three weeks, I went back to work as a teacher. I was still in some pain, but I figured that it was normal. After a month, I went back to the doctor because I felt it wasn't healing correctly. (I still had a scab on at the insicion site. It finally fell off after 7.5 weeks.) He said everything looked fine, but was concerned that I still had sciatic pain. I wasn't that concerned at that point. At my two month check up, he said everything looked good, but he was sending me to PT because I still had pain, and I was having pain in more locations then I started with. (At this point, I was having sciatic pain, hip pain, and pain through my groin and down the side of my leg, as well as pain in my foot.) At about three months, I begged for a few days off from work because I was popping Tramodal like they were tictacs at work and my brain felt like oatmeal by the end of the day. I was given a few days off, which now turned into a month off. My pain management doctor has uped my prescriptions from just tramodal (4-6 per day) and hydrocodone (1-2 per day) to more tramodal (8 per day) , oxicodone (1-2 per day) plus Neurontin (1-2 per day). The medication helps somewhat, but it turns me into a zombie If I take it all.

I am concerned about WHY I am in all this pain. It seems that the more time that passes, the more pain I am in. I can easily say that I am in pain most of the day. It seems to "travel" when it hits. The pain will shoot through the groin, then that will stop, and it will start down the leg. Then that will stop and my foot will start to hurt, and when it finishes, it will come back to the leg. I will shift myself and the pain will ease or go over to my hip or buttocks and back of the leg. Sitting for any length of time or walking distances (even shopping at the grocery store) causes pain. Laying in bed propped up where I am able to adjust myself frequently, seems to be the only thing I can do to keep the pain manageable.

I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow and I am terrified that it won't show anything and the doctors will think that I am just making this up. Any ideas on what is wrong and how to ease the pain without turning into the walking dead?
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,904
    edited 03/16/2015 - 4:51 AM
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery