Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd St. Jude SCS

angela_talley03aangela_talley03 Posts: 110
edited 03/16/2015 - 5:09 PM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I had my first stimulator put in in May 2011 after a horrible trail.. A trail that left me in the er with an infection in my spinal cord and my leads come out. And let me tell you as they travel down your spine hitting nerves they are not meant to it is quite an adventure. I also ended up with a spinal headache with my dr was able to fix with a blood patch and let me tell you that is awesome. As soon as you wake up your headache is gone. So after that the dr left it up to me if I wanted to move forward with a permanent one and I did. I always had a guy feeling it was going to work. So I got it. The recovery wasn't to bad. And io loved it. It worked very well until about 9 months ago I flexed my back over the arm of my couch and pop. I instantly couldn't feel my stim anymore. I also started vomiting any food in my stomach when the stimulator was on. So over the last 9 months I have cut back on using it and charging it and then I had a heart monitor on for all of Dec. So when I go to charge my
battery in Jan.... It's DEAD.. Dang it.!.! March 4 I went to the neuro who put in the first one and she said she could change my battery and try to move my leads up to see if that fixed the other problems with the vomiting and not be able to feel it. When I came out of surgery I had a new battery, new paddle leads, a large cut over my thoracic spine, and a laminotomy.. She said I had far to much scar tissue from all of my fusions and she couldn't get the leads to move up at all. They won't go anywhere. So she had to cut me and put them in my spine. And I spent one night in the hospital. This recovery has been insane!!! Now I had a thoracotomy for my thoracic fusion so I know pain. This isn't that bad but it is so much worse then I was prepared for. I'm also really upset that all these thing changed during my surgery and no one talked to us. I went in knowing that she may have to change my leads and she may use some paddle leads which would require a cut, but she never once told us that it required her removing bone. And if the decision had to be made while I was under shouldn't she have gone out and talked to my husband. The only reason we found out was because I was saying how bad I was hurting and my nurse said its always very painful when they have to remove bone .!.!.! I have learned through all my research today that it is always done when using paddle leads but you need to explain that to people ahead of time. I should not have to be doing my own research after the fact to figure out why I am hurting so badly.. . I also don't understand why they staple us back together. Why can't they use stitches and make it look at least a little decent. I have soooo many scars on my back and I just wish they took a little time and care when sewing me back up thinking about what it will look like when it heals. I hope you guys are hoping a pain free day.!.! Thanks for letting me vent.!.!